Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday Night Live...in Him

Alright, so my 21 day fast and read is almost over. today was the last day, and let me tell you something...the devil is alive and menacing. My wife Jenny and I gave up fried foods. As i said before, it doesn't sound like much but the south is a fried food culture. Never in my life have i been presented with so many chances to eat something fried. At one restaurant the owner even went as far as to surprise us with an appetizer...usually very welcomed, but he brought out a plate of tempura fried snapper with a sweet and sour glaze. I had to let that beautiful appy sit on the table as i told him thankyou but i would have to pass....and i sorta felt like i had kicked his puppy. But, as my wife reminds me, it was also an opportunity to tell him why we were takin a pass on his generocity. We as Christians are to be bold with our faith and not shy away from opportunities to grow the Kingdom. Not to be overlooked in this experience was the routine that my wife and i got into. As i said, we read a chapter of John everyday of the fast and although it seems kinda amateur, we found it kinda enlightening. Its not that we haven't read John before, its that we enjoyed the accountability of the whole process. It was kinda cool to say no to all the fried foods...and each night the first question we asked each other as we climbed in bed was "Did you read yet". Just five minutes ago she asked me what book we were going to read next. I'm fired up for this time in our marriage. We are growing closer to God together, and closer to each other in the process. Here is the final line of the book of John25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen. John 21:25 Jesus is doing so many things in our lives ...the most we can give him is a few minutes a night.
just sayin
waino

1 comment:

Jules said...

Had to be tough to turn down those fried tempura apps, that is pretty testing in my book. Thanks for challenging us to do it with you. It is amazing when you read something in the bible for a second, third, fourth time and get something totally different from it. The Bible is living (Hebrews 4:12).