Friday, January 16, 2009

Christian Character

Question: How do you want others to formulate their opinion of you?

* Do you want it to be based on your looks?
* The fact that your shredded?
* Your performance?
* The fact that you play professional baseball?
* How much money you make?
* The fact that you can win any argument, because you are smarter than the other meat-heads in the locker room?
* The fact that your wife, or girlfriend, is hot?

Here is the reality. If any of these things are how you want others to formulate their opinion of you, you will struggle with pride and insecurity the rest of your life.

I grew up in a home where my dad would humiliate me and my brothers for poor performances in athletics. Everything was based on performance; so when I did well my dad was on cloud nine, but when I sucked it up, wrath would follow. When I did well I was full of pride and when I did bad my life was over.

Everything in my life began to be about performance. My happiness and peace were based on how well I did. As a result, the pendulum of my life swung from pride to despair but never settled on consistent. I'm sure some of you can relate.

As a Christian, the answer to the question of how you want others to formulate their opinion of you is real simple. Your goal should be for others to formulate their opinion of you based on your Christian character, and that alone.

All the others things are temporary, but your character will last forever. Lou Priolo in his book, " Pleasing People: How not to be an Approval Junkie" quoted a man name Hugh Blair on this topic of Christian character. Hugh says,

"There is no form of behavior that will please all men at all times. As a rule, what seems to please most people most of the time, and commands lasting praise is Christian character. Sincere devotion to God, the ability to demonstrate genuine love to others, the faithful fulfillment of life's responsibilites, a pure and undefiled conscience, an unwavering commitment to justice, mercy and truth.....these are the qualities that render man truly respectable and great. Such character may, at tiems, incur unjust reproach. But the clouds which from as a result of man's prejudice and envy will gradually disperse; and its (Christian character's) brightness will in the end, shine through as the noon day sun. Throughout history, the truly illustrious men and women are those who did not court the praise of this world, but who performed the actions which deserved it."

May we be a group of men who seek to cultivate Christian character through the power of the Spirit, instead of chasing after the praise of godless men. In the end, our names will live on forever.

-Durham

4 comments:

B. Free said...

T. Durrrr.
Thanks for the words.
In response I think about my life and all the things in it, I think about goals, dreams, needs, wants, faith, friends, family and reality. It is challenging to find the balance because what we do makes us who we are, but we are NOTHING without faith. The equation of my life does not work without God. If I am not right there, I am right nowhere no matter money, career, friends, fam. The only factor that will remain after everything ends, dies, or leaves is my faith. The next closest relationship would be my WIfePiece.... even there the elements of our marriage are nothing if we are not "connected" spiritually and mentally. This is great motivation to find that 'connection' daily with Christ, His legacy, and His Word. Thanks.
-B

Tyler Parker said...

Personally, I need people to remember me for my resting heart rate of 45 bpm, but I digress.....jk

Great post, Lunchbox.

I hate when I meet someone for the first time and say something stupid or gossip on someone then walk away and know that they do not think they just met a man of God, but just some turd. First impressions dominate our brains. Especially in sports and business. We need to take our self awareness to a new level when meeting people, so that we put off an aura of something different. Maybe they can't put their finger on it right away, but they know they just met someone with their head on straight. Like Waino said in a previous post, "we might be the only bible that these people read" great quote right there. Be the face of the franchise. The franchise of eternal paradise. Make people want to join the club. There is enough hypocrisy in the church these days, we don't need to add to it by saying we are men of God and acting as lost sheep.

Tyler Durham said...

B. Free- Thanks bro. Great comment.

Parker- I have heard John Piper talk about a healthy "self-forgetfulness," like when you walk into a room, or a meeting, and you are not concerned with how you look,or what people are thinking about you, but are totally focused on others. I want to get to that point!

Tyler Parker said...

Durham,

Word. I believe "self awareness" was not the preferred nomiclacher. I love Piper and you are correct sir.

When you're right, your'e right and you...you're always right