Thursday, April 26, 2012

Peace Beyond Understanding

Philippians 4:7

..."and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

The verses leading up to this verse lay the groundwork.

Verse 4 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always."
Verse 5 says, "Let your gentleness be evident to all."
Verse 6 says, "Do not be anxious about anything..."
Verse 6 also says, "..in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

What I realized for myself is that I am real quick to look at verse 7 and say that I want that! I want that peace that passes all understanding, but the groundwork has been laid before verse 7. These aren't just suggestions but these are marching orders for life. Obviously in and of ourselves these are impossible and we must allow the Holy Spirit to lead. But what comes first, the peace or the actions? IF we are rejoicing and have a gentle heart and are not anxious and have thankful prayerful hearts doesn't that sound pretty peaceful to you. And all that only occurs through the power of the Holy Spirit and realizing that our Savior did something for us that we could never do for ourselves.
Thoughts?

- Andrew Kown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, so on point for me right now! I always wanted to jump to a baseball verse 7 as a player; bury that 2-2 sinker in with runners on 1st and 2nd 1 out; stay locked in after an error; blown called 3rd k that lead to a walk; not tire down after 6+...But I struggled with the previous (baseball) verses...Conditioning, mental prep and the dreaded self applied pressure... Now as a believer I conitnue struggling in similiar ways. God leads, I follow, then it seems like God disappears and I struggle...However, thats when I usually grow the most because Im forced to seek him through prayer and petition which will in turn give the peace which surpasses all understanding when Im walking in faith not by sight.... which is exactly where Im at right now. Preciate the word.