Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pride and Joy

“who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross” (Hebrews 12:2 ESV)


As spring training comes to a close, I’m getting ready for the upcoming season with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals. The Texas League AA affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. I knew when I agreed to sign with the Royals that they were more than likely going to start me in AA, and so I stand ready to embrace this opportunity. However, I’m not going to lie. There is a part of me deep within that has despised the thought of going back to AA. It prowls within like a caged lion just waiting for an opportunity to break free and devour everything in its path. This part of me is that master of deceit which goes by another name... PRIDE! “Terry, you’re too good to go to AA! You’ve put up 4 good seasons and 2 All-Star seasons in AAA! You’ve played in the big leagues! You don’t deserve this!”


Get behind me pride! I refuse to let you continue to rob me of peace and joy. What if I decided to let pride reign? I wouldn’t be playing baseball right now because I wouldn’t have agreed to go back to AA. I would have missed out on what was my best and most enjoyable spring training of my entire career. I would have missed out on being apart of what I’m starting to believe is the best run organization in baseball. And I don’t know what God has in store for me during this upcoming season but whatever it is, pride would have caused me to miss out. Too often we miss out on the unexplainable peace and joy God has for us because we think we deserve better. The greatest place in the world to be is right smack in the center of God’s will. Man, if we could just get over ourselves and embrace the hand that God deals us (much easier to say than do, I know).


What if Jesus would have had this mentality? “Forget this cross, I don’t deserve this! I’m the Creator of the universe, forget these unworthy creatures. I’m God in the flesh, I don’t have to deal with this!” What would this mean for us? (I think you know!) Thank you Jesus for counting others more significant than yourself. Thank you Jesus for looking out for the interest of others. Thank you Jesus for not clinging to your equality with God and becoming one of us. Thank you Jesus for humbling yourself to obedience even when that obedience led to the cross. (Philippians 2:3-11)


May every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord. With peace thanks to Jesus,


- Terry Evans


No comments: