Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Scary Text

Hebrews 6:4 "It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace."

Wowday!!! That is crazy talk right there. I assume that many of you have been taught like me that "once in always in". This verse clearly states that some of those people who are in the faith now will fall away and won't come back to repentance. That's scary to me, that helps me to put my guard up and live with intense effort eachday to pursue the truth and seek His face. I want to know Him, I want to be in and stay in, I don't want to be lukewarm (Rev 3:16). Chapter 5 in Hebrews tees this "falling away" issue up nice. Check it out and be blessed.

How does this verse effect the verse that states that "none can be plucked from His hand". I'm not sure of the verse. Comments?


- Ben Julianel

2 comments:

TEvans said...

Jules, the verse you are referring to is in John 10. In regards to "no one will snatch them out of my hand" and "falling away", I think we see once again that mysterious mix of God's sovereignty and man's responsibility. I'll propose two more questions...

No one will snatch the sheep out of the Shepherd's hand but can the sheep decide to wander away on their own?

I also think there is something to be said about the words used to describe those who "fall away" in Hebrews 6. Are those who "tasted" and "shared" the same as those who "eat" (John 6:51) and "have" (Romans 8:9)?

- Terry

Mitch said...

If you read starting in verse 1 of Hebrews 6 you see that Paul is describing a person focused on "Law". As if this person is still stuck on the elementary doctrines of the Jewish religion and Mosaic Law. A person counting on their "dead" works, but has heard the truth in the gospel of grace through Jesus, never was a child of God. They have heard and tasted the goodness of the gospel but can't help but going back to try to fulfill the Law that Jesus accomplished for them. To not accept Jesus' finished work and to stick to the self-righteous thought that you can acheive salvation yourself or please God by your works would definitely make it impossible for repentance. So, I don't think this verse is referring to someone who is God's child through faith in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection for salvation. This is referring to someone still trying to earn it themselves and therefore never was a child of God.