Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Am I a Boxer Beating the Air?

Hi everybody, my name is Brett Carroll. I know most of you guys, but wanted to thank you for this group and what a blessing its been in my life. I am also humbled to contribute.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
"Do you you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified"

This may be a battle cry verse in our christian walk, but something stuck out to me the other day. I love that Paul does not say there is anything sinful about running the race or competing to get the prize. As a male, this ignites my soul to lace up my shoes and run!! I love that God wired us like that. He placed Adam in the garden to cultivate and work. (genesis 2). Our world does not need "another passive" male. I realize that if Jesus is not on the throne than creation (money, sex, power, etc) becomes ultimately worshipped and always leaves us dissatisfied. We run our race chasing the wind. But when it's not ultimate in our lives, this gives us the freedom to run with joy and passion, transferring ALL glory to Jesus through whatever circumstance, trusting and walking with Him through it. If you are a current athlete, ex athlete, or have no athletic bone in your body, we realize we are creatures of habit. It takes time, discipline, patience, and hard work to hone your craft, whatever that may be. Over time you see change, good or bad, but you see results.

My question to myself and others: Is the same amount of passion put into "these" things, put into the spiritual man pursuing godliness.??? Jerry Bridges put it this way, in the book "Pursuit of Holiness".

"Any training-physical, mental, or spiritual-is characterized at first by failure. We fail more often than we succeed. But if we persevere, we gradually see progress till we are succeeding more often than failing. This is true as we seek to put to death particular sins. At first it seems we are making no progress, so we become discouraged and think, whats the point? I can never overcome that sin. That is exactly what Satan wants us to think. It is at this point we must exercise perseverance. We keep wanting instant success, but holiness doesn't come that way. Our sinful habits are not broken overnight. Follow through is required to make any change in our lives, and follow-through requires perseverance".

I don't know about you, but this encourages my heart, knowing that we are a work in progress. That is what's humbling about the cross because we don't have to earn God' s acceptance, but by His grace and mercy we are accepted and deeply loved. He went to the cross despite our performance. (rom 5:8) Therefore, we don't have to run our race without purpose or meaning. By God's transforming grace, we pursue Him to change us and mold us to be like the person He created us to be! Jerry goes on to say this:

The person who is discipling himself toward holiness falls many times, be he doesn't quit. After each failure he gets up and continues the struggle. Not so with the unrighteous. He stumbles in his sin and gives up. He has no power to overcome because he does not have the Spirit of God at work in him.

With God's word, prayer, and fellowship of other believers, we can live in a fallen world with a different perspective and hope!! Praise God!!....continue the run or start running!!

Jesus, thank you for your daily grace and mercy that is very undeserving. Thank you that we don't have to be boxers beating the air, but that b/c of the cross you have set us free to run with endurance and perseverance. Gives us the grace and desire to pursue you and godliness so that YOUR Glory shines through!! Every day is Easter in the eyes of the believer for taking upon my sin and giving me your righteousness!!! You have risen!!

Blessings,

- Brett Carroll


2 comments:

Andrew Mitchell said...

Great post Brett. I love how you stressed that God, by His grace alone, gives us Christ's righteousness. We don't run the race to earn this, we run the race free, as heirs to the prize! Christianity is not about working hard to gain something you don't have. It is growing in the awareness and understanding of what you already have (Colossians 1:3-22) Peace to y'all.

TEvans said...

Amen brother! It is the constant getting back up and fighting again with perseverance that builds character. There is no other way to build character except through perseverance. Awesome to have the opportunity to hear your heart on here now.

Everyday is Easter!!