Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Peek Into My Life

If you are in a rush skip down to the second paragraph, this is important.

My baseball career ended in 2009, it was a 9 year career defined by me coming to Christ in 2002 (first full season) and watching as God moved me around 5 different organizations from one group of believers to another. Most situations ended up developing into 10 man strong bible study groups where God was showing up in great ways, but there was some challenges along the way. I remember being on a team where I was one of the youngest guys and perhaps the only believer for a few weeks and some of the guys treated me foul. Looking back it was awesome as God brought men into my life for both them to disciple me and some for me to disciple them. That was my life blood (fellowship, bible studies, etc...), that was the way I felt alive as God used me and showed up in unbelievable situations. So as I got into business I instantly asked God "why and how will you use me here". I quickly saw the opportunity and started to pray to be used. Fast forward almost 3 years and here I am giving financial and business advice to men ages 40-70. You can imagine that being the youngest guy in the room doesn't help you however God has blessed me tremendously and given me confidence that this is no longer an issue. I can see that a lot of times they choose to do business with me because they feel this level of trust that they don't feel with most other guys/advisors (praise God because thats something that he has blessed me with). As I meet with all of these successful business owners and entrepreneurs it's obvious that any good sound financial advice I can give them won't heal what really is the void in their lives and that is their need for real fulfillment (which is only found in Jesus). Their businesses never can give them enough, its crazy, I have clients who are making crazy money yet they still lack that peace and joy. It reminds me where I need to place my hope. I pray that God will use me or somebody in these clients lives to reveal to them this Truth. The enemy wants me to believe that I must keep business and faith separate and he tries to scare me away with the idea that I might lose somebody as a client if they knew my faith (lies, lies, lies) and this could affect my ability to provide for my family. Proof reading that last line reminds me of how ridiculous that thought really is, pretty sure God in control of all that man...

So here is the reason for this post I wanted to give you all that background so you could give me the best most informed advice/council- I'm having a client appreciation event a week from this Saturday where the crowd will be 6 clients and their wives. Here is the roster - we have a man (62 years old) ) who's wife is a pretty devout believer and he has followed her lead but probably not made it his own faith yet, another man who is a conservative and displays Christian values as he almost 70 years old I've never met his wife. Another man who is perhaps the nicest guy ever but pretty sure he and his wife really haven't made a decision one way or the other, their comfortable. A fourth guy who is an atheist (one of my biggest clients) who mentioned in a meeting that his wife likes church and "believes in that deal". Then there is a couple who I have grown real close with and they know where I stand as a believer and they have their own beliefs (Oprah, everybody's in) and they referred me to another couple who is now a client and they are Jewish. So with all this said my question to the crowd is do I bless the food before dinner? "In Jesus name I pray, amen"? Please holler at me, I'm praying about this and need some Godly council. I believe this could be a great opportunity for God to show up in some small way.

- Ben Julianel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben-
Thank you for throwing this out there and giving a peek into your life. Sounds like an awesome challenge to be ironing through in your heart! Here's my two cents: You could just wait for the moment when the food is ready- go in real aggessive and say your prayer. Although this would be an adventure it might start some fireworks that would be awkward at the table. If I were you, I would let the atheist and Jewish couple know beforehand, away from the group that you will be praying for the meal. If they have any issues, then they can tell you then. It also may open the door to some further Jesus conversation. You could even give thanks during your prayer for the group- which could be eye-opening experience for them.
My father in law is atheist and he just kicks it with his eyes open when we bless the meal. It usually leads to some good conversations.
I will shout a prayer out for you and let us know how it goes!
-Brian Dailey

Anonymous said...

I love this, it's great that the Holy Spirit is nudging you man. IT'S SO EASY TO NOT STEP UP. You want to be a successful business man, establish relationships, network. "Act as if!" -Boiler Room

Brother, I would ask if it's alright if I toss up a prayer for the d-lish meal and hit it hard like only Jules can. What are they going to say, "aww I'd rather you not." Haha. Like brian said, thank the Lord for that group. Give em Jesus, love em.

PS. No way I say that prayer. hahaha

"But the righteous are as bold as a lion." Proverbs 28

TEvans said...

Give thanks where thanks is due. I say pray giving thanks for the food and the fellowship. You don't have to try and insert the doctrine of justification and salvation in the prayer. Simply give thanks.

Try and be like Jesus, not the Holy Spirit.

PS - Would I stand firm and say that prayer? I wish I could answer that confidently.

Unashamed! (Romans 1:16)