Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday Dish


Rom 10:9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus {as} Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
   A friend called me yesterday and told me that one of his business partners, with whom I know as well, just returned home from the hospital and was given 2 months to live. He is dying of ALS and it was getting bad. The scary part of the whole situation is that the man doesn't know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. My buddy decided that next week he was going to go share his heart and lay out the Gospel in hopes of a soul harvest for the Kingdom. Two hours after our conversation the phone rang with the news that my buddies business partner was dead. 
  I feel the only way to take this news is to understand the lesson at hand. Something as simple as the verse at the top of the page is all someone might need to hear.We are talking eternity here and for whatever reason that just doesn't sink in all the time. I cant tell you how many times I pass up an opportunity to share my faith with somebody for reasons that right now just make me want to puke. This has been a wake up call for me and there is some serious convicting going on right now in my heart.  I need to be way more proactive about wearing my faith on my chest for all to see. There is just too much at stake not too. You better believe that if George Strait was coming to play a free concert at my house, I would be telling everybody with the quickness without any hesitation. Now what kind of sense does that make.  
  Sorry this has been such a downer of a post. This is obviously something that God is convicting me on and I cant think of a better place to let it out. I hope everybody is doing well and if y'all have any feedback I want to hear it. I really need some advice in consoling my buddy in this situation.
     
Lets just take a second and praise God that we have been called!!  Thank you Jesus !!!!!
  
     ~blaine

3 comments:

Tanner said...

That's a tough situation that has happened so that we might learn from it. I know, for me personally that a similar thing happened to me this year after Nick Adenhart's tragic passing. I spent the past year in the same locker room with Nick and never took time to share Christ with him. He knew about my faith but I never introduced it to him. Now, everytime I see his face on the scoreboard in Anaheim I am reminded of an opportunity I let get away. My strength is to not let Nick's death be in vain by sharing my faith now with a sense of urgency. If I don't make any adjustments then I have let a dear teammate pass away for nothing. I refuse not to learn and act from something so tragic. It's tough to keep the perspective of living for today in order to echo into eternity but it's a perspective we desperately need and have now just been reminded of from your friend's tragic loss. Thanks for sharing and God strenghthen us.

- TEvans

Jules said...

We need to be reminded of this every day, an even then it's not enough. Jesus should be on the tips of our tongues always. I have so many excuses for why I don't share with people more and none of them are ever worthy.

pavkovich said...

Mark 1:17 "Come, follow me, and I'll make you fishers of men."

Look what Jesus did with the disciples and a lot of others in the NT. He took fishermen, tax collectors, prostitutes, a women that married five times, a demon possessed man, a blind man, all kinds of people and turned them into not only followers but fishers of men. He was able to use all different types of people and their circumstances for His purpose....to spread the good news.

Think about the main person or persons who brought you to Christ? It was someone that had a certain set of circumstances (everything that happened in their life to put them where they were at that moment), combined with the message, combined with your current circumstances that made them a prime candidate to be a fisher of men that got you interested and reeled you into a relationship with our heavenly Father.

Whether you know it or not, whether your ready of not, God will continue to place you perfectly, using your unique situations to be fishers of men.

If we aren't thinking in those terms everyday, we'll whiff the opportunities.

TO FOLLOW IS TO FISH