Monday, September 21, 2009

"Rogue Waves"

Better late than never fellas!! 

I heard an awesome message yesterday at church.  He was talking about facing a "rogue wave" hitting us in our lives when we least expect it.  A rogue wave is a 24-36 foot wave that hits a boat or ship unexpectedly.  There is no "warning" and no "time" to react.  

I have definitely faced these rogue waves at times in my life.  Now what was interesting was how he talked about our reaction to these huge problems that nearly crush our spiritual and physical morale.  So many times, I'm guilty of this, is that we react in FEAR!!  What will we do?  Why did this happen?  Does God not care about me?  Why would he let this happen?  All great questions, but there's a reason.  He's God and nothing catches him by surprise!  

God does care about us and He allows these things to make us grow.  He also allows these things to get our attention at times.  It never ceases to amaze me that God will do anything to get His children to turn back to Him.  Praise God for His unconditional love and grace!!!  I know I need my tail whipped at times by God.  And He will do it too.  

Fear is our instant human nature.  Faith is the farthest thing from our mind at times like these. He preceded to tell us that the two have the same definition........Huh?  Come on?  Its true.  
They both are:  Things we assume or think are going to happen.  Think about it.  They both have the same meaning but mean the total opposite.  Pretty cool huh?  This is why satan has a field day with us when the rogue waves hit our lives.  Faith is tough to cling to when we don't know what to expect next.  Fear is so much easier to conjure up in our minds.  

If you're like me, I focus on the rogue wave instead of me and my heart.  Sometimes I pray for the rogue wave to go away and never come back when I should be praying for peace in my heart and soul.  God uses whatever to discipline us and smack us upside the head.  Standridge!!  Wake up punk!!  Stop focusing on the problem and focus on Me!  Sounds easy huh?  Nope.  We all do this because we all wear skin.  We don't use that as a crutch but know that we need Jesus!  When we minimize our sin, we minimize our need for a Savior!! (heard this from my man Brian Hommell).  We need Him.

"True faith is not the absence of conflict, but the Presence of Christ!"

Fellas, as life hits us this week may we rebuke Fear and hit our knees and cling to Faith.  I'm so pumped up right now that I could give an altar call.......but I won't!  

Later men,  Standridge
 

2 comments:

Tanner said...

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."[a]

7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

12Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13"Make level paths for your feet,"[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.

Hebrews 12

Great word Jason! Your fire for our King spreads quickly throughout. Nice to have something to look forward to on Mondays besides MNF.

-TEvans

Jules said...

Nice piece Jason.