Tuesday, September 15, 2009

His Commandments Are Not Burdensome

When I was young my father did me the favor of shooting me straight. He never said straight up "your brother is just better than you", he just let me know that if I wanted to beat Brian (my brother) I had to work hard at improving my game. I wanted to have the glory of defeating my brother in anything so the hard work wasn't burdensome at all, I loved it. Shooting jumpers in the rain, tossing up rocks to myself and hitting them into the canyon with my bat (standard issue from SF Giants bat-day), or even jumping over stacked bags of leaves like it was the goaline. It didn't matter I was working!
When I got to college the work was a lot harder, sometimes miserable but not entirely burdensome and I look back on it now with fond memories, I'd love to go back and grind it out all over again just because. When I think of anything hard I ever did I don't look back at the grind I look at the accomplishment. Can you all relate?

Let's look at young Jacob describe his grind (being a servant) that his uncle Laban made him endure just so he could call Rachel (Labans daugther) his bride.
Genesis 31:40 "There I was! In the day the drought consumed me, and the frost by night, and my sleep departed from my eyes."
But yet Jacob looked back in retrospect in this way.
Genesis 29:20 "So Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed only a few days to him because of the love he had for her."

Man... Do we love our wives/girlfriends like that? I'm not sure I can say that I do on a consistent basis, and I'm ashamed to say it because I know I love sports 24/7. But let's throw off spouses and sports and ask ourselves if we love Jesus enough to work for Him? Mind you works will not get you a ticket to the show (see last weeks post for explaination). Mix in a little obedience here and a little reading there and we're good right? No! That's not gonna get it to where we need it to be to experience His awesome power. We need to surrender the whole sandwich, not just cut off a chunk and be like "here you go JC get yourself a bite of that" and think He's pleased! Our God is not mocked, you reap what you sow.... period (Gal 6:7)! I'm so tired of my own "B" team mentality, "I'm doing good enough", do you know any champions who went to work satisfied? Man, I don't know I just got fired up on this, let me go put some ice on my neck for a minute.
Now to finish my point, God's commandments (instructions in the bible on how to live) should not be teeth nashing for us to do, we should do it out of love and desire to feel that Holy Spirit tickle our skin again like it did that one time... God wants to give more to us, more peace, more perspective, more love, more laughter, more excitement and yes even more pain. We can't get any of this if we don't grow and the way to grow is to live in obedience and follow His word, cherish His word because He wrote it for us. It's His love letter! I loved Blakes e-outreach email where he asked if we cherish His word. Let's fall in love with the Savior again and experience more of what He has for us.

Father; forgive us of our sinful ways and help us to understand that we are forgiven. Help us to dig our feet in and live this life 100% for you. We need you! In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Thanks for tuning in, I appreciate you guys.

2 comments:

Tanner said...

Jules, loved the Jacob example on what He did for His love. Another great an obvious example is Jesus' love for us. Whenever Tyler used to want to go workout super early in the morning during the offseason and I didn't, he would say, "Jesus died on the cross for you and you can't get up out of bed at 8 a.m.?" Now he was just messing with me I know but that can be applied into our way of living. Third Day wrote a song titled "Love Song" and it is meant to be a love song from Jesus to us. I listened to it the other night and my eyes began to water as they often do when listening to this song. If you haven't heard it then please download it but just in case I'm going to paste the words on here anyway. If Jesus loves us enough to die on the cross for us then is an effort to be obedient really too much to ask of us? How truly pathetic we must be. Praise God for His mercy and grace without which we are worthless!

-TEvans

"Love Song"

I've heard it said that a man would climb a mountain
Just to be with the one he loves
How many times has he broken that promise
It has never been done.
I've never climbed the highest mountain
But I walked the hill of calvary

Chorus:
Just to be with you, I'd do anything
There's no price I would not pay
Just to be with you, I'd give anything
I would give my life away.

I've heard it said that a man would swim the ocean
Just to be with the one he loves
How may times has he broken that promise
It can never be done
I've never swam the deepest ocean
But I walked upon the raging sea

Repeat chorus:
Just to be with you, I'd do anything
There's no price I would not pay
Just to be with you, I'd give anything
I would give my life away.

(Bridge)
I know that you don't understand
the fullness of My love
How I died upon the cross for your sins
And I know that you don't realize
how much that I gave you
But I promise, I would do it all again.

Just to be with you, I've done everything
There's no price I did not pay
Just to be with you, I gave everything
Yes, I gave my life away.

Tyler Parker said...

Jules,

The line that hit me on this one was

"Mix in a little obedience here and a little reading there and we're good right? No!"

All of us are guilty of that one.

Terry and others, the line to us on yourself to get motivated or to call somebody out is "He rose from the dead, and you can't even get out of bed"