Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pack Your Bag & Take A Journey With Me

I have been writing on this blog every Tuesday for almost a year, most of the time I just share what's on my heart or what I have experienced recently (reading, music, church message, etc...). I feel the need to switch it up and make a challenge to all the followers of this blog and email. However I hope this really isn't my challenge at all, I hope that it's a call from God to all of us.

Over the next 16 weeks or less (I hope you all will respond with your ideas) we will be covering Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians or better known as 1Corinthians. So if you would just make it a habit to read one chapter of 1Corinthians (16 chapters) a week this should be a blessing. If this isn't something you all are interested in then please tell me or I can take your silence as a hint and I'll choose something else to do. So here is the intro.

1Corinthians:
Who wrote it- Paul the apostle who was originally Saul of the New Testament who made "the Damascus road" famous as the Lord appeared to him on that road leading to Saul's conversion thus becoming the majority writer of the NT.
What- a letter to the Corinthian church instructing, teaching, and encouraging them to continue on in the faith.
When- 55 A.D.
Where- Southern Greece (unfortunately a lot like Southern California but not for the good things necessarily).
Why- Inspired by the Holy Spirit like all other doctrine (Bible scriptures).

I have been told that this book of the bible is very relatable to modern America but I guess the whole bible is too so... Anyway here are some of the themes of the book.
1) Calling and benefits of sainthood
2) Disunity of the church
3) Immorality in the church
4) Marriage in the church
5) Liberty in the church
6) Worship in the church
7) The Hope of the church : Resurrection
8) A Charge to the church

I hope you guys are onboard but if not something else will come up. Let's continue to read our bibles and grow in spirit and truth.

1Corinthians 1:3 "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

5 comments:

Nolan Gottlieb said...

I'm a big fan of expository teaching...take more than 16 weeks if you need to...I'm all for it.

Tyler Durham said...

Great idea! I'm in.

Tanner said...

Great idea. Now execute it. I'm in obviously.

bboyer said...

NICE!

Lindsay said...

lets roll