Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday Bread

What's up E-Fellas! I hope all is well with you guys. I am very excited to be back on board, and I hope that my Sunday night posts will be God-glorifying and a blessing to you.

I am currently a student in the Master of Divinity program at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in my hometown Ft. Worth, Tx. I am taking Old Testament Survey, New Testament Greek, Biblical Hermeneutics (how to interpret Scripture), and Church History I. I love my classes and I am very fortunate to have such great professors.

Tonight I want to talk about my Old Testament professor Dr. Mudliar. He has a PhD from Johns Hopkins University in Near Eastern Studies and is a well known scholar in the conservative Christian world. But do you want to know what has impressed me since day one of his class? His love and knowledge of the Scriptures. It seems as though he knows every verse of the Bible! We will have a Q & A time each class where we will ask different questions and every question he answers, he does by siting numerous passages from the Bible chapter and verse. He will say, "well, if you will look in 1 Corinthians 4: 7-12, Isaiah 53:12-23, and Exodus 34:1-20 you will see ....," and many times quoting the verses verbatim.

I found myself giggling like a little school boy at this amazing spectacle! I had this strong desire to know Scripture like he does. When I meet with people who need counsel I want to have a wealth of Scripture in my mind and heart to pull from. When life hits me hard, I want to have an arsenal of truth to hit life back. The great 19th century English preacher Charles Spurgeon said that the Puritan pastor John Bunyan was so full of the Word of God that he said if you cut him he would bleed the Bible. Why would we not want that for ourselves?

While hearing Dr. Mudliar, I also found myself feeling extreme conviction. I am in seminary to become a pastor. What is a pastor? He is a shepherd of God's flock, the Church. What is his tool for teaching, for correction, for encouragement, for reproving, for exhorting, for comforting, for leading the flock (2Tim 3:16)? It is the inspired, infallible Word of God. Do I know it? Do I love it? Have I memorized key chunks of it? Do I bleed the Bible, or my own personal opinions on things?

In the beginning of the book of Joshua, we see a young man who has taken over for Moses to lead the nation of Israel. We are talking about the Moses who parted the Red Sea, turned the Nile into blood, spoke with God on Mount Sinai and led the nation through the wilderness. Hey Joshua! Your up! Obviously from the text we see he was fearful because God told him several times do not fear. Then God says in Joshua 1:9 what will be the key for Joshua to be blesses and successful as the leader of the nation of Israel. He says, " This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth but you shall meditate on it day and night so that you may observe to do all that I have written in it, then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have good success."

A Christian who does not know his Bible is a Christian who will not experience the power of God. He will not experience the sweetness of His promises, or the freedom and joy that comes from meditating on the grace of God shown in Jesus Christ.

Let us be people of the Book. May we plead with God to give us a desire for his Word. May we be a group that when we are cut we will bleed the Bible.

T-Bird

5 comments:

Tyler Parker said...

This is en fuego. What a great wrap up to this post.
"may we be a GROUP, that when we are cut we bleed the bible"

I love that T Money said group. Makes me think of the strides that this group has taken in it's short life. Started out as about 4 guys shooting emails to each other to make sure we kept in touch and held accountable for your walks in Christ. Look at it now! How many new faces and growth has this website produced? We got a website, we have new blood, we have great writers that came out of nowhere, we got Nolan starting a church, we got Dailey out on a mission, we got Durham in seminary school, we got Jules headed that way as well, and we got Blake hyping up a christian clothing line. hahahah. Craziness. (I apologize if I left anybody else that I forgot in this rant that has made sick strides)

How many times has someone new posted on here and started with "I'm no writer" or "this is new for me" . Then they rattle off Truth soup like it is just pouring out of them. You gotta get excited about that.

I pray that we keep this new found heat going for as long as possible.

How far can E-Fellowship go?

What if people started checking our site out for answers as much as they go to their google search bar? Aiming high? Yes, but who knows

Anonymous said...

T-Bird! Well done sir. Scripture knowledge is on my top priority list. Parker you are right too, with this group we have no limits. What we put in is what comes out! Let's go.

Jules said...

Durham, I want you to drop 10 bible verses that are straight heat rocks for the whole group to put on index cards and memorize for the month or year or whatever. Bring it seminary boy, feed me like it's 5:15 after a long hot BP during the summertime in florida.

Tanner said...

I too am in for bleeding Scripture. Tyler and Tyler, great post and comment. It is absolutely amazing what God has done and is doing in this group and I see no point in contentment now. How far will God take this thing if we continue to seek Truth and obedience through one another? Wow!

- TEvans

Nolan Gottlieb said...

T-Bird...What's your real name? Have I missed something??? Anyways...I wanna talk. Let's get in touch...