Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lee Taylor Walker Testimony

Quick Bio:
Lee Taylor Walker.
27 years old.
Married 2 and half years.
University of Memphis Tennis Coach

Life Before Christ:
I found my identity, value and purpose in:
-being a good, nice church going boy- admiration
-being a good athlete, accomplishments
-girls- pleasure
-partying- pleasure
-people pleasing
-cycling through these things time and time again
-I found as Solomon found in Ecclesiastes 1 and 2- that these things were All Vanity- All Meaningless

How I met Christ:
-Hit depression in college when I was junior in college
-Players I had grown up competing against were top 20 in the world and I was mere mid-line-up college player
-Partying had lost its fun
-I was lost and purposeless
-Started searching and attending church because nothing else was working
-I was convicted after a message I heard- The Gospel Had Penetrated My Hard Heart and God's Grace Gave My Sinful Heart a Perfect Transplant.

Life after Christ and now:
-A mission trip shortly afterwards and a supernatural act of God surrounding me with Godly men and women confirmed that the Holy Spirit was at work
-For the first time ever- Jesus was All my Hope and Peace and I felt the meaning of His blood on the cross. Amazing Grace
-For the first time- I was running into church and bible studies and craving the Word
-Struggled for the first few years of a good works mind-set by being overly involved in spiritual activity- bible studies, church, seminars, prayer groups, etc. These things were good but soon became things I did because that's what Christians are supposed to do- instead of being purely motivated by the Gospel.
-Met a guy 4 years ago that spoke at one of FCA meetings. He had something I wanted. He was different than all the other Christians. He seemed to get it.
-I began to meet with this man many times throughout the week- In Christianese- he began to disciple me- teach me, model for me, and equip me to what it meant to be a follower of Christ and Godly man.
-Now I'm trying to take these tools and by the power of the Holy Spirit- love and serve and witness and disciple those around me.
-God has and is opening doors for me and my wife to witness and disciple the tennis teams here at Memphis. In the past 4 years- 3 players have given their lives to Christ and 10 have been involved in bible studies.
-My biggest battle in my pursuit of holiness for the glory of Gos is finding alone time with God in solitude in order to walk more closely with HIM.
-Everything else is meaningless.

My Prayer:
-That though I plan the route for me and my wife, Christ would direct my paths.

Thanks for the call out Terry. Miss you and Tanner and hope to see ya soon.

LT

No comments: