Sunday, September 27, 2009

Are You Who You Want to Be?

Earlier today I was just hanging out in the hotel room listening to my itunes on shuffle. A song by Switchfoot came on called This is Your Life. For whatever reason for the first time I actually listened to the words of the song. In the opening few lines of the song it says "this is your life, and today is all you get now...and today is all you'll ever have. This is your life are you who you want to be?" That whole thing kinda hit home for me. The life we've been given is finite on this earth. We've got precious little time to live our lives the way our Lord intended. And who knows how little we actually have except God. We could be gone tomorrow. Heck, we might be gone later tonight...there's just no way to know. So, here's the point. If you've been thinking about letting go and letting God take control of your life then you better do it, and do it fast! The last little bit in the song when it asks are you who you want to be got me thinking. There are a lot of things I keep putting off that I need to get to with a quickness. I'm not saying you have to run off and fly to Africa for a 2 week mission trip...unless that's what you've been thinking about. It could be as simple as doing the dishes or giving your wife a massage. Honoring her is honoring God. Jenny if you're reading this don't get any ideas. It could be finally having that important talk of sharing Christ with a teammate that's really struggling. Maybe you've been slacking on getting to church or chapel....and I know you can get you're own stuff done on your own time, but I also think it's important that Christians surround themselves with other Christians. God wanted us to know this because He said it in Hebrews 10:25...

Hebrews 10:25 (New Living Translation)

25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Two things there stand out to me...do not neglect our meeting together and the day of His return is drawing near. Don't wait any longer fellas....make it happen now. Love yall

waino

2 comments:

A-Rand said...

I read this post right after I read the following. They go nicely together.

http://evotional.com/2009/09/take-deep-breath.html

Jules said...

Waino I don't know what your best post was prior to this point (there have been a few that really stand out) but this post right here just snatched the top spot. It's not long but this guy packs a punch, I'm open right now thinking about "who I am v.s. want to be". Thanks for being a vessel for God to use. Appreesh!