Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Message to the unbeliever. Wake up call to the luke warm

"I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations. I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. But I do not excuse the guilty. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren; the entire family is affected-even children in the third and fourth generations." -Exodus 34:7 NLT

~Why would sins affect children and grandchildren? This is no arbitrary punishment. Children still suffer for the sins of their parents. Consider child abuse or alcoholism, for example. While these sins are obvious, sins like selfishness and greed can be passed along as well. The consequences of sin are limited to the the individual family member. Be careful not to treat sin casually, but repent and turn from it. The sin may cause you a little pain now, but it could sting in a most tender area of your life later- your children and grandchildren.

"But God says to the wicked: Why bother reciting my decrees and pretending to obey my covenant? For you refuse my discipline and treat my words like trash... While you did all this, I remained silent, and you thought I didn't care. But now I will rebuke you, listing all my charges against you. Repent, all of you who forget me, or I will tear you apart, and no one will help you. But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God." -Psalm 50:16-17, 21-23 NLT

~Just because God is silent, doesn't mean he is condoning sin or is indifferent. Instead, he is withholding deserved punishment, giving you time to repent.

"The Lord isn't really being slow about his proimise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. he does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent." -2 Peter 3:9

~Jesus is waiting for you, BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU. We need to realize our time on earth is short, and it's time to take action. Be ready to meet Christ at any time, even today!

"Because the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief." -2 Peter 3:10

2 comments:

Tyler Parker said...

wow. What a great Psalm that is. That scares the crap out of me. I always will be pulling off this "secret sin" that nobody knows about but me and because the heavens don't open up and tap me on the shoulder I sometimes feel I got away with one. I haven't read that Psalm in a long time. That was sorely needed. Having kids, it is even more scary because they are so pure and perfect in your eyes, but little do they know that you could be creating a horrible future for them by turning away from the discipline that is commanded by the Father. Gosh, that has broken me on this normal little Wednesday. Thanks Blake

Jules said...

That Psalm iissssssss fire, I need to write that down, let me get my pen.