Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"You Talking Loud But You Ain't Saying Nothing"

"You talking loud but you ain't saying nothing", ya it's slang so how about this, "you are talking loud but you are not saying anything relevant". How many times have we had this thought pop into our heads when we hear somebody talk about something that has little or no value? It's just jargon! Let's get back into the 1st letter to Corinth.

1 Corinthians 2:1-2 & 4 "Brethren, when I came to you I did not come with excellent speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined to not know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified... 4 And my speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and power."

MacArthur says this "the focus of the preaching and teaching to unbelievers was Jesus Christ, who paid the penalty for sin on the cross. Until someone understand and believes the gospel there is nothing else to say to them."

This punches home some posts we have been having as it pertains to sharing with unbelievers, all we should do is share the gospel and pray that God will take the blinders off that person and reveal His truth to them. However this scripture for me puts more of a focus on getting back to talking about the truth of Jesus. Back in the early church followers were accused of worshiping a dead man by outsiders, that shows you how much Christ was preached back then. It was all about Jesus and I think that is because without Jesus there is no death, burial, and resurrection, and without that we have nothing. My encouragement for us is to get back to focusing our conversations, thoughts, and praise/worship on the Carpenter from Nazareth who claimed to be "King of the Jews".

2 comments:

Nolan Gottlieb said...

Good post! The Gospel should resonate throughout our entire lives...conversation included...

waino said...

great post jules. I feel that sometimes when other people, and even myself sometimes, are praying that they are talking loud but aint sayin nothin. Its so refreshing when someone is speaking or praying and you can feel the real emotion. I really feel that sometimes people just want to sound good to other people instead of having a sincere convo with God. I hope yall are ready for a steady dose of the gospel at pao.