Thursday, December 4, 2008

People of the Book


Before I throw in my two cents, i want to thank Adam, Blake and Jules for helping me financially, so i could make the trip to the Dominican Republic. It was another great year and i was able to bring the head baseball coach at my former university, Northwestern State. Last night as we shared the trip with our church, Coach D broke down talking about how much this trip changed his life and how he wants to change the way he coaches his players.

That's all you guys and i can't thank you enough!

A little food for thought: as Christians, we are people of "the Book." Unfortunately, in our culture we are being hammered with the idea that for today's complex problems we need to find answers elsewhere. Biology, science, psychology, sociology....anywhere but the Bible!

Let's remember that the Bible is sufficient for all of life and godliness. It is the truth! As we wrestle with different issues, which we need to do, let's always look at the world through the lense of Scripture. The Bible is enough!

Here are a few quotes that i love about the Bible:

"I have thought I am a creature of a day, passing through life as an arrow through the air. I am a spirit come from God and returning to God; just hovering over the great gulf, till a few moments hence I am no more seen. I drop into an unchangeable eternity! I want to know one thing, the way to heaven - how to land safe on that happy shore. God himself has condescended to teach the way: for this very end he came from heaven. He hath written it down in a book. O give me that book! At any price give me the Book of God! I have it. Here is knowledge enough for me. Let me be a man of one book." - John Wesley

"It is blessed to eat into the very soul of the Bible until, at last, you come to talk in Scriptural language, and your spirit is flavored with the words of the Lord, so that your blood is Bibline and the very essence of the Bible flows from you." - 19th Century Baptist Preacher Charles Spurgeon

- Durham

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Man, D-scrib, its so nice to read your voice again. Keep feeding me your knowledge and insight man. Those two quotes at the end are dynamite. I keep reading them over and over because of their substance. Awesome stuff man.

-TEvans