Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Disadvantages of a Plan B

Sure; a "Plan B" is a smart thing to do, it shows that you are a prepared person who has thought out many scenarios. Having a "Plan B" shows that you're a realist and not a dreamer. The idea of having a "Plan B" in your back pocket is American, its a common token of advice. I would not say having a backup plan is a bad idea however let me tell you the possible danger of a "Plan B".

Matthew 13:23 "But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the Word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit an produces some a hundredfold..."

Sometimes dreams are "Plan A", they are the thing that we shoot for, go big for, an opportunity where we step out in faith and try to make it happen. Chasing down a dream (when really taken on as an effort) causes people to get outside their comfort zone and grow as a person. It is in those moments that many great attributes are formed and or realized. When we embark on these quests we leap out in faith and are forced to think on our feet and react to scenarios that we ultimately learn a great deal from. I feel that in these uncomfortable moments our hearts can be like fertile soil (hence the above scripture) where the Lord can plant and water seeds of goodness (hard work, perseverance, loyalty, courage, faith, love, passion, etc...). More importantly we are met with opportunities where we can't do it alone and we are in need of intervention from a divine third party. We are forced to make a choice on whether this effort is really worth it and what we want to do with our lives. The question rises in your brain "are you all in?" and you have to make a decision, there is no more toeing the line. What do you do? Your whole world is in the balance of this decision, things will never be the same... We hit our knees and pray and PAUSE! Right there at that moment we either experience God in a new way or we turn and run for safety, a worldly safety.

Here is my story:
My dream was to play a professional sport, I chose baseball or maybe it chose me. During my 9 years people were constantly asking me "how long are you going to do this for", "when are you going to get a real job?". Those questions made me feel like I was being a reckless dreamer so I decided to finish my bachelors degree and when that was over I moved on to a master's degree, all because I wanted to have a "Plan B" for other people. I knew I could play ball for as long as I could throw however this "Plan B" made me feel safe at night when the demons crept out of my closet. You know the demons that talk to you after you just had a bad game and tell you "you're career is over so get prepared buddy". So I reflect on my opportunity and how my heart was so fertile in my playing days, I was really on the anvil (so to speak). I was in a such a place of uncertainty that I had to come to the Lord daily for strength. It was scary but I loved it, He would show up in so many conversations and scenarios, it's crazy to look back and see how much He loved on me. All the bible studies with teammates, the nights on my knees in tears, the workouts and games where I did something I didn't know I was capable of, and the all the great men who discipled me in those days. Life is different now, so many more distractions, its more difficult to find that intimate time with Him. No regrets but if I could throw a letter to my brothers who are still in the game it would say this... Go all in, God has a "Plan B", don't entertain any thoughts that suggest that you're not a ball player. Be 100% ball player and have faith in your opportunity to live your desire/dream. If you think about "Plan B" you will become your "Plan B" soon enough. As God's humor has it I fully prepared for a "Plan B" with degrees and a beefy resume that has zero application to my current business (career). God is your "Plan B" so live your dreams with tremendous faith and trust Him to be all you need in and out of the game.

God please send this message out to the men and women who need this encouragement and please make it about You and not about me. My ego gets in the way and wants to brag about things that I can't take any credit for. Lord we need You and we are humbled that you consider to use us for Your glory. Amen!

P.S. I'm not saying a plan b is bad, I'm saying it can be distracting if you never go all in.

Jules

1 comment:

Andrew Mitchell said...

Thanks Jules. I can relate so much to this. God has "the Plan" whether it includes the Plan B is up to Him. You can't go wrong by giving it all you can wherever He has you. Have Faith in His sovereignty.