Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Grab Some Kindling For Fear Your Fire Go Out

The last three weeks have been grindy for me, I have woke up most days feeling sour because I have been disappointed in my situation. Frankly I have been "pissed off", I just don't understand why things aren't going my way. I've worked hard, I've prepared, I've prayed, I believe in Him, I'm a good guy, I do good works, I read my bible, I don't do this and I don't do that etc. (notice how shallow my thinking becomes as I continue on the path of "whoa is me" thinking, it's never good to go that route). We have to remind ourselves that opportunities are gifts and this life and all in it doesn't owe us anything. Focus on eternity for that.
I woke up Friday got up for my 4:15 alarm, put my slacks and "schmoogy" (nice shirt that you wear to attract positive vibes) on to catch that shuttle to the plane to get back to Rochester from Louisville. Later in the day I arrived at the yard only to get pulled into the managers office to have him tell me I'm fired. Dang! Fortunately, God showered my heart and mind with peace and I was able to deal with it. It's wierd because I was so sure that this was going to be the year I got to the big leagues and I was going to have a great story to tell about perserverance and God's power. I don't know why this happened, I'm not happy about it, I can't see the light right now, and I now have to try to find a job in a tough market. My wife is pregnant and her job expires in June so there is some pressure on me to make this boat float. What can I do? How will I avoid falling into depression?

I have been doing what I know best, pray and talk to God with honesty and just pile up all these issues at His feet and let Him give me direction. My fire is dying out and it has been dying since spring training, I hope that it hasn't affected this group. I'm sure it is possible that some of you might have your fire burning low right now or maybe it has at one time dimmed. Let's turn to the Word and see how we can get some spiritual kindling for are dying fires.

Psalm 19:7 "The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul."
Psalm 23:2-3 "He leads me besides still waters. He restores my soul."

The law of the Lord is the commandments in His word the instructions that the Bible gives all through out the books and chapters. Reviving and restoring the soul implies that we all need "pick-me-ups", encouragement, and experiences that heat us up again. Being led beside still water means that sometimes God has to put us in situations where we can do nothing but be quiet and wait on Him. For me that time is now, I'm home right now contemplating many things but more importantly I need to spend some alone time waiting on God to direct me. The temptation is heavy for me to throw my resume out there and look for a job that pays a lot of money and offers little fulfillment. I have learned over the span of my christian walk that money can't make me happy and being outside God's will is a painful place to be.

So my encouragement to everyone who reads this is to spark back up, rekindle your fire, read your bible, and wherever you are stick it out because if God doesn't want you there He will take you out. Consistently pray to be in God's will and have the desires of your heart match those of His. If your working the 9 to 5 know that God can use you to be a light to the men around you. If your still playing a sport know that God wants you to succeed. However part of the game is handling failure and that is when your biggest testimony is built, don't act like the rest of your teamates who don't know Jesus, you're called to be different. I know there are many High School players who read this, please remember that baseball is a game that it is meant to be fun, playing as if every pitch, out, swing, is played to glorify God. Make that idea your treasure and start enjoying life and the game more than you ever have.

The only way I can explain the peace in my heart right now is to say that God is real, Jesus saves us from our own selves when we dive into a deep daily relationship with Him. It's crazy man! I'm ready for my new adventure, I'm ready for a new Lion to chase. What's it gonna be?

6 comments:

waino said...

jules, sorry about the baseball thing. It will definately work out for you in whatever you do. Good luck with the baby

Anonymous said...

Ju-

God has so much in store for you. I love the cut piece you dropped on here too... Your the real deal Holyfield and your witness holds heavy weight contention in my ranks. Not sure why your even on your computer because you should be stacking supplements and engaging in a rigorous pyramid set of curls. Holler after your first trip dub @ 24. Soooo Jealous.

Ya Waino, I said Trip Dub. Go shop at Bass Pro.

Jackie said...

Jules, you are in our prayers. I am sure that God will guide into a field that will be blessing to you and will be able to bless others through you.

TEvans said...

What the heck is Trip Dub @ 24? Sounds like some DaVinci Code B.S.

-Terry

waino said...

blake wants to be in a street gang so bad so his tired lingo will go unnoticed. clean it up blake...

Jules said...

Street gang, hahaaa. Blake is speaking of playing pick-up basketball in which he makes the assumption (given my NBA skill level) that I will record double figure numbers in three seperate categories. So when an onlooker gazes at the stat sheet they might see 56pts, 19 rebounds, and 14 assists so they will conclude that I had a triple category double figure night in which you get a triple-double or trip-dub as Blake so poignantly expressed. It's egregious to ascertain the notion that Blake was making an obstract reference to the blasphemous implications of the DiVinci Code. Ohhh man I need to get some sleep and stop writing these cover letters for job applications I'm acting delirious.