Thursday, May 14, 2009

Are You a Giver or a Taker

At this moment I am overwhelmed with humility. This evenin, we took our team to Shriners Hospital to visit some kids. Shriners Hospitals for Children is a one-of-a-kind international health care system of 22 hospitals dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing specialty pediatric care, innovative research and outstanding teaching programs. Children up to the age of 18 with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries and cleft lip and palate are eligible for admission and receive all care in a family-centered environment at no charge – regardless of financial need. We hung out and painted pictures of baseballs and such for Dhourderly of Haiti, Cameron from Ormond Beach, Sandra from Mexico and several other beautiful kids. Knowing that underneath those smiles, a ton of pain and fear regarding the medical condition each child is enduring, is enough to rip anyones heart up. I look at my life and cant help but think I dont deserve it, and then see these kids and know they definitely dont deserve the hand theyve been dealt. How can I ever complain??!! Not enough funds, go downtown and see what not enough funds look likes, cant find a job you like, go checkout the unemployment lines, complainin about your worn out kicks, go tell that to the guy without feet. Guys, when are we as a body gonna wake up, realize how blessed we truly are and go share our blessings with others. When I gave my life to Christ, the first thing I felt God tell me to do was sell my house and move down to the Dominican. Does that story sound familiar? When the rich man asked Jesus what He had to do to follow Him, Jesus said to sell it all and come follow Me. I so badly wanna say yes, but I am afraid. Tonight, I want to share some things God has been poundin on my heart with, and its all about giving. Jesus spoke in Matthew 25 some heavy words. He said in 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
How many opportunities do we have to give and pass it up. Im talkin more than just cash, cuz for some of you that aint no sweat. Im talkin maybe sacrificing your time or even sharing you r talents with another and getting nothing other than maybe a thank you. The Bible talks a whole lot about giving. I think we all know it blesses Gods heart when we do, but if you didnt know, heres a few scripts to help you get it: Acts 20:35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Proverbs 11:24-25 One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.Isaiah 58:6-11 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf o f the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.Since we now see how badly God wants us to give hears a few verses on exactly how our we are to give. 2 Corinthians 8:1-5 And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.Chew on this for a few days and get back at me. I wanna know what you are planning to do next. Humbly yearning to serve,Sam

5 comments:

Jules said...

I don't even know where to begin. I almost feel so weak and finite that I'm tempted to do nothing at all because I think my small contribution won't be worth anything. That's where I go wrong when I allow that thought to actually materialize into a suffocating feeling which ultimately lacks action. January ministry in Tampa?

Tanner said...

I too visited a Shriner's Hospital this week and what an amazing blessing and lesson in humility. I also have talked to my wife Tanner about making sure we take the time to write letters more often to our Compassion child in Tanzania. Its easy to have $40 taken out of my account each month but it takes action to make sure I sit down and write a letter to Anastazia. I know these are small strides but they are small strides in the right direction. I got Nolan being the MVP in this department right now so we can look to him for some encouragement to take more action. Solid material as always Sam and I love how you slice hearts with the double edged sword. There is an awesome force of power behind all of your words. Keep it coming.

-Terry

Nolan Gottlieb said...

Sam...are you writing this email from the Dominican???

What happened to the rich young ruler when he didn't obey Jesus???

Anonymous said...

Nah, Im still in Tampa. Cant quite convince my wife who just graduated from med school to move to the DR. Dont worry though, weve got some plans to tag team medical missions with baseball. Short term? Long term? And yea, I know what happened to the rich young ruler, no need to remind me.

By the way, we need to set up a time, location and project to come together as a unit and getter done! I wanna meet the front liners that have been blessin me for almost a year. And Im ready to do work as a group.

Nolan Gottlieb said...

Sam...I'm all for getting together as a group.

We should get something stirred up this summer and try to get something up for this off season. We could have a east and west coast team...

I'll be praying that God reveals his will to your wife...