Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Trying to Give to God

Psalm 50:12 "If I were hungry, I would not tell you; for the world is Mine, and all its fullness."

We have talked about how God is in control and how God has made all things etc.
How is it then that we in our sins try to please God with our efforts, like we can actually give something as a gift. Why did we originally come to God? I came to God for salvation, peace, and understanding. However once I felt the grace of God my selfish nature thought that I needed to give back. Why? Because that is what I expect when I give, I feel that whomever I gave to should pay me back. Think about how brutal that is, I should be giving to enjoy the delight of serving just as my Lord and role model Jesus did amongst other reasons. I shouldn't do it for my own gain and in order to feel this way I may have to break myself of the selfish habits I have created. So wouldn't it be helpful for us to build our foundation on the idea that our relationship with Jesus is one where we get, get, get so we need to stop thinking we can give, give, give. By doing this we will help keep our sinful pride under our foot and off the pedestal that he tries to stand on when we do something that we see as worthy of praise. I also think this will alleviate the pressure of trying to be righteous and good. We need to delight (Psalm 37:4) in our faith and relationship with the Lord not begrudgingly slave over it.

Romans 4:4-5 "Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness."

Our exercise of faith will be counted as righteousness not our works, so let us grow our faith not our good deeds. Works are the fruit that follow the growth of faith.

"the one who actually sets himself above God is the person who presumes to come to God to give rather than get." - John Piper

Be blessed this Tuesday!

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Adam said this best in his fruit analogy. We should live from Christ and not necessarily for Christ.