Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Be Ready

As I was walking to the field today, I was stopped by a guy who wanted an autograph. At this point I'm prepared to tell him I'm not who he thinks I am because that happens to me a ton these days. Tonight I was Nate Shierholtz!? Come on. Anyway, so this guy breaks out one of my cards and asked if I had any new scripture for him? I was caught totally off guard and just said "no I'm still on that Philippians brother" (PHIL 4:13 is my go-to signature scrip))... signed the card and told him to be blessed. Not 30 seconds later I hear the Holy Spirit nudge at me and say, your not doing your part Blake... You weren't ready to give another scripture! Off the top of my head I wasn't, but I could have given him a half-hearted one to save face. If he were to ask me who was pitching for the Giants that night I could tell him with no hesitation.

My point to this is memorizing and meditating on God's word is ESSENTIAL for our walk. That moment was God using that man to tell me that people are watching me and you better come correct! Don't be like everyone else and play that Christian card. LIVE IT, AND WALK IT. It was very humbling to me but also it pumps me up to see God work in front of my eyes. I feel so blessed to be motivated and excited to memorize scripture and get dialed in for my next encounter. That's what's on my heart tonight.

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives." -2 Tim 3:16

2 comments:

Jules said...

Great share, get that scrip game up and scribble one everytime you sign. The impact will be worth it. Try it, no excuses!

Tyler Parker said...

I think this is very positive. I would focus on the fact that you are making an impact. This guy made a conscience effort to say something to you that lets you know he likes you putting scrips on your signature. He probably has kids, and might use you or others as an example to them about pro athletes. All these regular joes see on tv is steroids, huge contracts, drugs, divorce from pro athletes. It does not make news to do stories on good guys all the time. They might throw a Josh Hamilton story out once a year, but that is the exception.
We always have these encounters and then analyze it afterwards and wish we had said one more thing to make it better. Just trying to keep you positive on this story, because that is what I got out of it.