Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bible Study Q and A week 2

   This past Wednesday we had our second q and a study week.  The first week was a success as we had several non believers or brand new Christians ask some awesome questions.  The next week we let the day creep up on us without as much excitement and we failed to promote it like we should have.  Several of the guys that said they would be there failed to show and that kinda irked me...because we were having it for them.  But I realized I got as much out of the study as they would have probably so it was still good.   Its so hard for me not to come at guys hard when I'm talking about God...I just want them to get how great He is and i always feel like they could be missing their chance.  That's me thinking I have control over something i don't.   Anyway, i thought I'd share some of the questions we had throughout the week leading up to wednesday and after.  We had several good conversations with a few guys during bp and in the clubhouse...here it goes.   One guy says "man,  how can you believe the Bible when it says men were created first and not dinosaurs.   We got fossils hundreds of millions of years old and we don't have human fossils that old...how can you believe it?"   Another question was "do you feel like you are just taking an insurance policy out for heaven when you say you believe in God?"  One guy wanted to know all about the canonization and just finds that hard to comprehend.  And evolution is tough to get past for a few guys.   We had some good ammo on most of the questions but we never have all the answers.   One of my favorite comments  about the questions we were getting came from the reds team chaplain named Steve Sisco who was there.  He said..."You know one thing i learned when I was in the beginnings of my walk...one thing that I think frees you up more than almost anything?  The ability to say I don't know."  And I think that's so true.  As believers we're called to be prepared for any situation that may come up relating to Christ but if we don't know the answer its better to drop an I don't know than to butcher Gods word and turn people off.    Maybe a ...I don't know but I'll try and find the answer and get back to you.   And then there's those questions that can't be answered and that's when you realize how big our God really is....How big?   I don't know...he's unmeasurable.   
   Comments?

waino

ps...for those of you who don't know...e-fellowshipper Blake "the knife" Hawksworth made his major league debut today.

7 comments:

Tanner said...

It's so annoying to try and speak out against evolution and the dating of the fossil record bc everyone is brainwashed with the religious science that is actually bad science which has bullied it's way into dominance. I've exhausted these topics through lots of personal study and it startled me to find how wrong our theories are on these issues. Anybody see Ben Stein's movie? The geological record doesn't always take into account environmental catastrophies such as a global flood. Mount St Helens in 1980 erupted and dramatically changed the land miles around it. A study was done that proved if you didn't know already that the eruption caused this damage then it would appear as if the land formations that occurred within minutes took millions of years to be formed. The Genesis flood denied by most in the field would stun the man made fossil record and
geological record. What about the fact that God created an earth in maturity? After the creation week it would appear as if it had been around for millions of years since it takes millions of years for a star's light to reach the earth but in reality The earth would have only been a week old. The chicken came before the egg. I could exhaust this topic with more jibberish but it usually does very little good so I'll stop myself here. I hate religious science!

-TEvand

waino said...

id love to pick your brain on these kinds of things for a while. lets sit down sometime in the next 30 or 40 years and talk. unless we're already in Heaven...then who knows what'll happen

Tyler Parker said...

Terry,

I can't believe you stole my Mount St. Helens story. Unbelievable. I have been sitting here just stunned. Alright, I'm good now. As many of you know, my bread and butter is creation and then skip to End of Days. I can trade blows with anybody on this subject, but as Terry said it can just do more harm than good due to the docrination and mind warping that is almost too ingrained to go after with people. If you talk about dinosaurs and man living at the same time, you are laughed out of the room.
I think the thing to start with is the maturity of the earth as Terry said. If you are talking to someone who is defending evolution, I always bring up the view point of God creating Adam in his maturity. If evolution was true what came first? Was there a baby or infant stage of the first multi-celled creatures or where they just a mutation? When God created Adam, he was a man. His teeth were already ground down to adulthood. The bottom of his feet already had been toughened. He had calluses on his hands. For some reason, thinking about it like that made the 7 literal days of creation seem so much more believable to me because I had come to believe in the Adam and Eve story, but was struggling with the evolution side for so long.
If I really got going, I would go into there being no sin before the Fall and thus no death so how could a species of plants and animals and dinos be dead already, blah blah blah. But, I think that's enough for now

Tyler Parker said...

ps - Waino what is with that font size on the post? My computer almost shut down trying to open this site.

hum now...

Nolan Gottlieb said...

Terry nailed it when he said "religious science"...or the religion of science.

A great resource to look into is: www.answersingenesis.org

Jules said...

great topic, solid post. sounds like kingdom building in St. Louis. I love the questions because it reminds me how far God has brought me. Let's all rejoice in that for a minute (how far He has taken us on this journey of faith). Religous science is another method of deception, how evil is it? Ben Steins movie is a must see "Expelled". If faith was so easy and obvious everyone would do it, never forget that idea. Parker and Terry should collab on a creation series of posts. Waino do you agree? Blake "the knife" hahahaa, so derserving of the promotion, proud of you brother. Love to the group.
P.S. Nolan hows the jumper?

waino said...

i would love to see these two go at it on creation. lets get some good dialogue going to strengthen all our armor. sorry bout the font size. got a new mac and have no idea about how to use it just yet. good thing i got my old pal the knife here.