Friday, February 26, 2010

How bout the others?

I just got a lil bit I'd like to throw out that is on my heart. I like to review my recent life often and see how I compare to my previous self, and basically compare and contrast how my life to the life of Jesus. Obviously, and should go without mention, mine as a reflection of His is waaaaay off. But something that has been blaring lately is my passion or actually lack of passion for others. As I read over Jesus's life in the Gospels, all I come across is Him serving others. His passion for people is so rich and absolute that it almost hits me across the face. Then, in turn, I wanna hit myself in the face for being so selfish. Obviously, we have things that we have to take care of as far as preparing ourselves for the upcoming season, but when I put my hours down on paper, there is ample amounts of free time. Rest is really important part of training, but I also calculate laziness on the couch to take up much of my time. And one of the reasons why I love baseball is the opportunity to meet people throughout the season and hopefully impact there lives in a positive way. So, why not the offseason just the same if not more? That is something I will have to continually try to improve as long as I am blessed with offseasons, but as most of us head into our spring trainings and seasons, I just want to remind everybody, that positively impacting people's lives is one of the main reasons we have been given the ability to play this sport. Not saying that you have to do everything for everybody, because I know the more notorious guys in this group will be asked to do everything, and NO is sometimes the right answer. But God will impress upon everybody's heart the things they should be involved in or things they could do for other people. Don't ignore that calling as I have a few times this offseason. Someone once told me that in order to have JOY, that your priorities should be Jesus, Others, then Yourself. Looks like I need to shuffle my words around so it actually makes sense.


trying to die to myself,
-tmart

2 comments:

waino said...

good post tmart. i also find that when you put yourself out there for people that they end up positively affecting your life as much or more as you are affecting theirs. Nice work...love the joy thing

Tanner said...

good post tmart and good comment as well waino. As far as beating yourself up about your off-season, I can relate. I really wanted to take big strides toward getting to know all of my neighbors around me and I have to say my performance was weak sauce. I hope to do much more next off-season. As far as during the season goes, I seek to be available and open to all divine appointments that God may arrange for me this year. I'm not forcing any issues but I am attempting to put myself in more situations where interaction is possible. In my conversations this year, I seek to ask more questions and listen more. And yes, I have found that God places people in your life so that the relationship can benefit both parties rather than just one. Stay open and available this season.

- Terry