Saturday, October 24, 2009

Turtle on a Fence Post

Last night I was looking over a book I read last year named The Little Red Book of Wisdom. The man who wrote the book started a company called the DeMoss Group in Atlanta, Ga. The DeMoss Group is a public relations group that handles many things such as giving Christian companies all over the world advice on how to run their companies more smoothly and avoid conflict. I won't tell you about the whole book but you should check it out... it's a good read and there is some pretty meaty stuff inside. The 14th chapter is called A Turtle on a Fencepost. When I saw that I was thinking "man, what the heck is this chapter gunna be about?" That chapter became my favorite chapter in the whole book. The author tells a story of a man who every now and then, on his way home from school, would see a turtle sitting on top of a fence post. And he would realize that the turtle hadn't gotten there by himself. Somebody had to have put that turtle up there, no doubt really ticking that turtle off. Moral of that story is no matter where you are in your life, and what you think you've accomplished you haven't achieved anything without God. God has placed you in the situations you are in for His glory. He is the quarterback in this game. Isn't it easy to pat ourselves on the back and say "look at me and what I did."? God tells us many times that He is in charge...
"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and
power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy
pleasure they are and were created."
Revelation 4:11, KJV
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:
I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is
there any that can deliver out of my hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39, KJV
You know one thing I love about our God? Scripture from the Old Testament and New....yet the theme remains the same.

waino

2 comments:

Tyler Parker said...

wow. I was just reading this blog on "top ten thinking traps". I clicked off of that and went to E-Fellowship and saw this point. Unreal, because here is what the #1 thinking trap was: ILLUSORY SUPERIORITY

Illusory Superiority is also known as Better-than-Average effect. It goes into some detail on how the vast majority of use with very few exceptions have a much inflated view of ourselves. We think we are a lot better than we actually are. One of the examples that was in there was a driving study that they did. They had the drivers judge themselves vs the others that they saw do the same driving. 93% of the participants wrote down a score for themselves as "better than average" haha.
That goes hand in hand with this post, Waino. Whenever we get somewhere in life, we tend to stick out our chest and think very highly of ourselves. We quickly forget where to give the glory. Yet, how quick are we to ask for help from God when things get dicey in life?

Good post

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Adam. That's all I'm going to give you. Stay humble.