Monday, October 5, 2009

Being a Dad....huhhhhh

Being a Dad

Today I was having a conversation with Blake "the knife" Hawksworth about being a dad. Being a dad, I really believe, is one of the coolest and most important things that God has blessed us with. I was thinking about all the times when I get home and my oldest daughter comes running up to me giving me the biggest hug imaginable. She will literally hug me for like 30 seconds telling me she missed me and she loves me "so much". It really is just awesome, and makes it a joy to come home no matter how the day went. Then I got to thinking about God being a Dad too. We have a friend who starts out every prayer with "Dad, huhhhhhhh"(the huhhhhh is like a sigh of remembrance at how great God is). You can tell when he prays that he's really got an intimate relationship with our Lord in Heaven. I love that! Sometimes I'll look at my daughters and just be so proud about something they did. I'll just be gushing about my girls and then BAMM... I'm sitting one in time out and scolding her. That speaks to the responsibility of being a dad. Imagine what God is doing all day. Try to wrap your brain around the emotional roller coaster we put Him through on a daily basis. Thank God that God is God and we aren't..... there is no way I could handle it....I'd go insane. He's our Dad...a perfect in every way, unfathomable, loving, (insert adjective here), Dad. I think He is up there gushing about how awesome we are and just like a worldly dad He's sometimes got to yank our chain and put us in timeout. The relationship that is Christianity is really a story about God and His family. I think our friend who prays to Dad has the right idea. God wants us to love Him, respect Him, and obey Him. I guarantee you I want those things from my daughters too. Sometimes my three year old asks me why she has to go to timeout or why she's in trouble....Don't we do that with God too. I know I do. I continually question God and His motives. But just like the timeouts or pops on the bootie I give my daughter, God's loving hand is leading and correcting us with our own best interests in mind. Nice to know He's always got our backs.
Romans 12:2 tells us, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

-waino

4 comments:

Tanner said...

Hebrews 12 says, "7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

Nice post Adam. I love keeping the perspective of our Heavenly Father being just that..... our Heavenly Father.

-TEvans

Tyler Parker said...

Great point of view, Adam. I like the part where you talked about your 3 year old asking about why they have to go to time out or got a spanking. We, definitely, do that all the time with God. Why me? Why him? Why her? I have gotten much better at not questioning this, but it is a constant battle that I have with my pride, anger, and sorrow I see in the world.

Terry, I really like that Hebrews scrip. Take the discipline and use it. Our fathers taught us this, our bible teaches us this, and athletics teach us this. Many corporate companies love hiring ex-athletes for this reason. We have all been berated by a manager at some point. As we mature and learn how to handle this, we grow and become men. We learn not to pout and cry in the corner and waste the rest of the day. Kind of like Durham does at the end of Legends of the Fall when he compares his life with Triston's. Haha

Tanner said...

Lets be honest. If I was Alfred, I would probably do a pity party keg stand when comparing my life to Tristan's.

waino said...

i love that movie....and that name. You don't like legends of the fall you can just get outta here right now...