Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pick your perspective

I had a week or so pile up with events and statements that kept eating at me.  I would jump on Twitter and read posts of people that I am following.  Some being conservative talk show hosts, some celebs, some left wing friends blah blah blah....Then I would see a show on History channel talking about "the world without humans" written as a documentary.  What?  Anyways, this of course got me back into my wheel house; Genesis, creation, genealogy of our ancestors.

I had to talk about it!  I stayed away from this for way too long.  I will flip this at the end but for now I wanted to get into a little DNA lesson:
In the mid 1800's many scientists believed that variations in the environment could be inherited.  Darwin leaned on this, and many of the evolutionists use this as their ammo.  For example, the talk about how when food got scarce, giraffes started reaching for higher leaves and passed this gene onto their youth.  What about the first few hundred years of them having midsized necks and still not being able to reach the leaves?  Shouldn't they have died out?  I digress.  Modern genetics have completely disproved this hypothesis.  Genetics is a pretty young science, which is why it was so easy for Darwin to come to the conclusions he came to.  There is just no mechanism that would allow animals to grow longer necks in response to environmental changes.  Similarly, breeders have cut the tails off cocker spaniel puppies at birth for generations.  This practice will never result in puppies being born without tails.  When I look at the amount of faith it takes to believe in evolution I just don't have it.  Whether it be the woodpecker's shock absorbing head, the sea cucumber's ability to generate new organs, the pelican's ability to dive for food from sixty feet in the air or the hermit crab's practice of living in other animal's shells.  All this seems like such an easy argument for me.
As I was getting worked up about all this, and not understanding how soooo many people accept evolution as fact.  How there is no room in their thought process for intelligent design, or a Creator.  Then I started thinking about what I believe.  When you really sit down and think about the faith that we have, it is a hard sell to some as well.  I believe with all my heart that a 500 year old man built a boat and stacked animals two by two on it because God told him to.  I also believe that a man was given a horribly embarrassing death then tossed in a cave and covered with a stone.  Three days later he rose from the dead.  That man is also my Lord and Savior and the only way to get to heaven is by having a personal relationship with him.  Oh ya, he is also the son of God, and part of a trinity including himself and the Holy Spirit.  But they are all three in one, not three separate gods.  That would be wrong to believe in three gods.  Do you guys see what I'm saying?  I always fly off the handle at how many people have been duped by fake documentaries on dinosaurs and cavemen as fact, and evolution being taught in schools as fact.  Then I sit back and think about the story that I tell, and what I believe.  This was a new perspective that hit me and I just wanted to share it with yall.  Do any of you get to thinking about everything in the bible that we believe and think about it?  This helped to slow me down on jumping on people for their beliefs and have patience when discussing beliefs.  Whether it be politics or salvation.  We are all coming from different places in life and are all at different stages.

ONE

Ty

3 comments:

Tanner said...

Tyler, Bingo Bango! (cool man). I like the way you jumped out and gave us a look from the outside in. Yes, some of the things we believe blows people's minds just as some of the things non-believers believe blows my mind.... (Jonah seems to be the go-to for people I run into. They don't have a problem with creation but Jonah and the whale they find unacceptable. That's funny to me.).... Anyway, we have to remember how gracious God has been to us in that He has revealed the Truth of His Word to us. As a non-believer, if the Truth is never revealed to you by God then no amount of sufficient evidence for creation or the things of God is going to change your mind. Praise God that His Truth has been revealed to us. That is a gift just as Paul explains in his letter to the Romans.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”[f] 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”[g] 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

Again, Praise God that He was revealed Himself and His Truth to us!!! DO NOT THINK OF YOURSELF MORE HIGHLY THAN YOU OUGHT BECAUSE YOU KNOW THIS TRUTH!!! REMEMBER YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S TRUTH IS A GIFT FROM GOD AND NOT ANYTHING BASED ON YOUR OWN MERIT.

I'm digging the Caps Lock lately.

-TEvans

waino said...

I heard a story a few years ago that scientists actually tested the ph levels inside a whales stomach (or whatever levels) and that they are actually very liveable conditions. Not to say that God couldn't sustain Jonah's life if He wanted but I thought that was cool. Anyone else ever heard this?

Jules said...

Interesting... It is amazing for me to see how you have grown (not to deposture you at all). You've never been known for your loving patience but that is what it takes to take our impact to the next level. I really needed to hear this today, really, really needed this.

Waino- never heard that before but I expect a detailed outline on my desk on Saturday.