Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Real Prosperity

3 John 1:2-3 "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. It gave me great joy to have some brothers come and tell about your faithfulness to the truth and how you continue to walk in the truth."

Sometimes we get tired and start to slip into old habits, some of us have the benefit of being in close proximity to other brothers who are really living this thing and their fellowship can pull us out of the mud. However most of us don't have that or even though we may we delight our flesh by not reaching out for the support that can save us much pain (caused by our sin). Let's take a look at symptoms of ill-health which can be red flags to our spiritual state.

1) A low temperature
Revelation 3:16 "So because you're lukewarm, neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of my mouth."
2) A contracted heart
There can be people in our lives who we get so eerked at that it consumes us into thinking about them throughout the day and even having thoughts of harming them.
3) A failing appetite
Deuteronomy 8:3 "... to teach you that man does not live by bread alone but every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."
4) A difficulty in breathing
It has been said that prayer is to a christian what breath is to a man.
5) A craving for unhealthy things
Self-explainatory, we can all relate.

Let's take a look at some remedies...
1) Seek good food
2) Do not restrain prayer (prayer is the gymnasium of the soul)
3) Exercise yourself unto Godliness (1Timothy 4:8)
4) Return to your 1st love
5) Remind yourself of God's sufficiency

I just wanted to quickly focus on #4, first love. Remember when you 1st fell in love with Jesus and you loved to read His word and you loved to learn about Him? Remember when you were so on fire that people sparked up at the sight of you? Wow! Maybe you haven't experienced that yet and are still wondering if this Jesus thing is worth your efforts, or if this christian thing is real. I can assure you it's real and so is Jesus what we all need to do is press in, pray for God to reveal Himself to you and read His word then we will start to experience the open arms of God calling us into a huddle.

"My son, oh how I wish you would come back to Me."

1 comment:

Tyler Durham said...

There are many days where I pray that God would give me that same fire I once had when I was saved my Freshman year in college.