Saturday, August 8, 2009

Superstition... You can have it!

Do any of y'all have little superstitious things you have to do all the time because they're lucky. I used to. It started in high school and carried on into the minors. The night before I pitched I had to eat pizza. Papa Johns if I wanted an extra good start. I had to sleep in the same shirt the night before I pitched... every time. If I forgot to wear it then I was up the creek. The day of my start was filled with superstition. I couldn't wear blue, including blue jeans, and had to wear my lucky boxers. If someone said "Hey, you're having a great year", or "you're gunna throw a no-hitter" then immediately I thought they had jinxed me. A few years ago I decided that all those little superstitions were tremendously holding me back. I realized that by putting my faith in all those goofy things I wasn't putting my complete faith in God. And, not just that. All the sudden I realized I might be a talented pitcher without wearing the same shirt and boxers and eating pizza. You know what I've figured out...by putting your faith and trust in God you are freed up to live a confident and fearless lifestyle. We know that God has great things planned for us because He tells us....

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


-waino

3 comments:

Tanner said...

Hilarious. Waino, you'd be 300 lbs. if you kept that pizza diet up and what the heck was up with you and the color blue? In junior college I would go pants up until I had a bad game and then go pants down the next day until the next bad game. My first few years in the minors I couldn't find any superstitions that worked so nothing really became my "good luck charm". I was too busy drinking my career away to worry about good luck charms but that is neither here nor there. I still have a routine everyday and before I get in the box so you might say that borders being superstitious but I'm not so sure thats the case because I don't contribute any success to keeping my routine. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Jeremiah 29 is always great encouragement and just a side note... it is my wife's favorite verse.

Love you guys,

TEvans

Jules said...

I was always more of a karma guy. Do good and you'll play good. If I picked up a piece of trash or was nice to a teamate then I would get hits. I love the popular "slumpbuster" idea, guys really believe in that and I have seen it play out where a teamate was pressured into being the sacraficial piece just for the good of the team. How awful, to think we (we're all guilty on some level so we're in it together) have bought into this stuff at some juncture.

waino said...

the idea of blue was if i wear blue then i'll be blue (as in sad). ...rediculous i know. another thing that i realized was that if you say i'm gunna do "whatever" until i do bad then ultimately you are admitting that you will do bad. and one more thing i used to do was say.. "man i gotta do really good right now because i'm hot, i gotta take advantage of this streak". that's weak. hot not good. no credit to the ability just credit for the hotness or papa johns pizza