Sunday, August 23, 2009

Arm yourselves before you wreck yourselves

Studs, sorry for the tardy delivery of this message. Tonight I wanted to talk about something that I feel is very important. i think i may have written about this before but if that's the case then lets recap. Memorization is my focus tonight.
This past offseason I began committing myself to verse memorization, not whole-heartedly as I wished I would have, but at least a start. The past few weeks I have gotten back into that good habit with "the knife". We started with 1Thess 2:4 if anyone wants in. Heres what I have to say about that though. You all know that we are taught to be armored with the word of God right...well...how's that going? Ask yourself that question and be honest. I know most of the stories and parables but how about all the times when I cant exactly remember a verse that would go perfectly with a problem someone is having.... Or I'm having. So, lets get crack-a-lackin on that and start really arming ourselves. Parents, are you doing this with your children if they're old enough? I used to think before I was saved that parents were forcing God and His word on their kids. Well, thinking back I was right, but for good reason. When kids are young, parents and teachers teach them the alphabet don't they? Man, what a buncha junk that out parents forced the abc's on us. Pretty glad I had that forced on me I think. That's pretty important.... But what about our eternal salvation. That sounds a lot more important to me. So why wait to share the good news with your youngins....arm their hearts from an early age.
Our chaplain just gave me an index card book for my memory verse action. He told me to write the verse on one side and the address on the other. As I learn them I can write them in and and every now and then scroll through so as not to forget.
Just some food for thought that i think might help with our shields...
-waino

4 comments:

waino said...

true...true....good commentary

Jules said...

Putting on that armory is such a worthy thing for us to focus on.

Tyler Parker said...

This is a good idea. I used to have a plastic index card holder that I hung in my shower. I would memorize a verse for a week and then change the card out with another verse.
To play devil's advocate on this I would like to bring up another point with this approach. If you were like me in school, you would wait til the last minute for an exam and "cram" as much info into your brain the night before as possible. Now, the next day on that test, I could rattle out all the facts that I had been going over and over in my head just the night before and the morning of. Now....if I had to take that test today on the fly I would probably get a zero. I think you see my point here.
Having those verses in your arsenal is key, but we also need to remember how to relate them to people when we talk to them. I think for self growth this is a great idea, but for spreading the Truth it is always good to be able to elaborate on those verses that we have in our heads.

Anybody?

waino said...

agreed...baby steps for me i guess