Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chasing Lions

This bible passage is in reference to the resume of Benaiah (old testament mighty man).
2 Samuel 23:20 ..."He also had gone down and killed a lion in the midst of a pit on a snowy day."
it then goes on to conclude this v. 23 "He was more honored than the thirty, but he did not attain to the first three. And David appointed him over his guard."
Is this even real? Come on, you're telling me a dude killed a fierce lion "one on one" in a pit with adverse conditions? Ya! I've asked the questions already, read it again, what would be the point of a fable in the Bible? It's true. So lets parallel this to our lives.
What does your resume say, what's in it that jumps off the page? Have you chased a lion, have you chased a dream and put yourself out there to experience great success when failure is at a higher percentage? Or have you played it small, worked the machine in the back room of suite B where nobody knows you? Have you given up on your dreams because you were too scared to chase that lion that might tackle you and devour you, leaving you in a pit of failure to get laughed at?
Right now I'm the guy who is chasing a lion (its been 9 years) and that lion is beating me up but I'm not dead. I know there are people who mock me and laugh at my pursuit, "get a real job and quit being a dreamer wasting your life". Sure; I'm scared and I have thought about quitting multiple times (even right now), but there is still a small glimmer of hope and I hold on to it. I believe it is that glimmer that is of God and it is then that He can do His miracles and be most glorified. Tough circumstances lead us to give Him all the credit when situations turn around and rise to the top (like Josh Hamilton), He wants all the credit sometimes. Especially when dealing with egos as big as mine, I'm so sinful my thoughts are embarrassing. Look at Gideon, (Judges 6) 32,000 man army and God made him dismiss all but 300 so the result of the battle could only be explained by God's power. What are you running from, chase a lion, pursue a dream, give God a chance to do a miracle. Lets not play it small because we don't serve a small God.
Be encouraged you're mighty men!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaat. Boldness is what I seek on the daily. We are gonna make it Jules, he's just molding us for that moment.

Jackie said...

Jules, do not let people who say get a real job or stop wasting your life stop you in your prusuit of what God has laid before you. Do not deviate until you have peace that God is redirecting your life. Even those of us outside of professional sports deal with this issue. Look at me I was an associate pastor for ten years. Then one decision changed me into a High School teacher and coach. I know God has called me to pastor, but every where I look people say, "Be content in what God has blessed you with." Do not stop becuase Satan uses well meaning people to plant seeds of doubt. Never undo what you begin in faith becuase of doubt. Doubt is fear and the Bible says fear comes for the Satan. Hang in there. All of you who read this, you are where you are to encourage guys like myself, my High School team, and each other.

Tyler Parker said...

"worked the machine in the back of suite B" hahahaha. Oh, man. That is awesome.
I want to look at this from another angle. From the sports side, I could only recently turn on a baseball game without getting physically ill. Every 5 seconds was someone that I played against living the dream. Most of us have been there watching sportscenter. I know that with my ability, I could definitely be playing in the big leagues in some capacity right now. That is not arrogance, I have just seen who made it and know where I once was. So, why did I not get that lion? Everytime that God gave me another chance in baseball I would screw it up. Not on the field, but with Him. I know now that God was telling me "Tyler, I know you have prayed to make it and you have all the physical skills because I gave them to you. I'm just not sure once you got there that you would praise me and give me the glory and respect I deserve." If I made it to the bigs with the lifestyle and path that I was on, do you think I would have gotten there and been a rock for my Lord. I would not have. So, that was taken away from me. I was given a path that help me focus more on Him. I know this is getting kind of out there, but people at my office know I'm a christian. My friends and family know I'm a christian. Did ALL of my teammates know that I was a strong christian.....nope? I missed way to many opportunities with them and let myself down in too many situations for them to view me as such.
So, to all still striving for what "they" want with all their heart. I think Jules' post shows us how to get there. If we really and truely put God first and stop trying to drive the bus ourselves he will bless us to a degree that we did not know was attainable.
We all have dreams, but sometimes we get in our own way and trip ourselves up.
Like Blake said, God has been molding you for that moment. Don't forget that first interview or talk you have when something great happens and remember to praise your Lord first.

ONE.

Ty