Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Treasures In The Sand

Matthew 6:19-20 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

I remember as a kid digging a big hole and burying my favorite truck in it. I stood over the ground where the hole was, after just filling it in, and felt so accomplished. The next day I tried to dig up my truck and to my horror I couldn't find it. I was heartbroken, "man, my favorite truck is gone", what was I to do. The next day I was playing with some new toy, resurrected from the pile of misfit toys that I had abandoned for new ones over my brief couple years as a toy aficionado. I say that to bring to our attentions the fact that possessions never seem to be as big of deal as we think, they all wear out. Funny how things can seem so important but once they're gone we can easily live without them.

How about our reputations? Can that be seen as an earthly treasure? I loved being a professional athlete and there were times when I feared life after the game because my reputation and status wouldn't be as important after it. I also was guilty of fearing the idea that I might not make it to the big leagues and be seen as a failure to my family and friends. Now that I've made it to the other side I can honestly say life is good and all those fears were a lie. Life after the game can be awesome with family, good friends, and especially kids. Worldly reputations are fleeting, the relationships that have been continuing on after my playing days have been with believers who impacted my life for eternity.

This might seem a little scattered but the important question is, where is our treasure? Where is our reward? The answer is that our treasure is Jesus and He is our reward. Were all called to step up.

No comments: