Saturday, March 20, 2010

Brett Carroll on Why God Allows Bad Things to Happen

This message was forwarded to me by our brother Brett Carroll as a response to a post earlier on why God allows bad things to happen to good people...or just people since none of us are good.

Hey everybody,
I just wanted to add my two cents to a recent post by Waino (why do bad things happen to good people), in which, it was a very encouraging message. However, it got me thinking even more about it recently b/c a family friend's son passed away out of nowhere...34 yrs old...found dead in this house...scary, real stuff. I believe Jesus tells us exactly what perspective to have, but I know its still a hard pill to swallow. Whether its death, illness, natural disasters, etc..I want to hear how the KING approached it..
"Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way?? I tell you, no!! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them-do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no!! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.
This verse is telling us that bad things happen to whoever or wherever when God is telling us to repent. Moreover, daily repentance is needed just as much when good things happen. No matter what our circumstance, tragedy, injury, etc.. we don't know what the next hour may bring, but being in Christ we can work things out looking through a different lens thanks to the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ!!! If your like me, I can get caught up in the daily grind of life or even make life about me and my glory, but when natural disasters or whatever shakes our souls it slows everything down, humbles me, and makes me small again. As Christians, we are called to fight against our flesh that we know does not glorify God b/c the world looks on and there has to be something different about us (not better than)....no one said this would be easy but the Holy Spirit is our helper,guider, and warrior. On sunny, nice days do we look to God with a thankful heart and see his kindness, mercy, and grace that can also lead us to repentance?? Rain or shine, life going good or bad, God is telling us to be ready. Bottom line is my life (sin) deserves the same tragedy here in Jupiter, Fl but thanks to be God and His grace that I can't earn it and that I know where I am going to spend eternity no matter what happens in the next 15 minutes. Thank you Jesus and the blood that was shed.

Lord, thank you for your patience with me, but I realize how important everyday, every minute, is an opportunity to glorify and turn too you for my hope and salvation. I need your grace to get this through me heart and head. Help this group to face the challenges of what life brings through the perspective that you give. Provide the strength to turn from sin that so easily weighs us down. (Heb 12:1). We may not understand it all, but help us to learn and grow to be true disciple makers. You are a sovereign God!!
Christ, the ONLY one that satisfies,
-Brett Carroll

No comments: