Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Old Nugget That Resurfaced

1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Believers are obviously chosen, obviously belong to God, we've been called out of the darkness into His marvelous light and we should/can declare His praises. But ... are we priest's, are we holy? What does it mean to be a priest? What does that look like?

There shouldn't be a hierarchy amongst believers, nobody is to big to sweep the floor, Jesus washed His disciples feet. What does that say about how Jesus viewed the situation? So with the term priest it doesn't mean above and better. I have always viewed it that way and I think it's because the churches I went to as a kid, the leaders were always separating themselves as to be above the congregation (robes, or clothing, stages, etc...). They might not have meant anything by it but I sure interpreted it that way. So to be a priest must mean something else. By definition it means to act in ministry as a full time job. Wow! Does that mean we should drop our jobs and jump into the church full time? No. It simply means to view your life as full time ministry, we're always fishing. Like the old saying goes "you never know when somebody is watching so act as if someone always is." Okay maybe that is my interpretation but you get it. We have to allow God to change all of us not just part of us, we have to live it 24-7 not just on Sundays. I'm finding it very challenging to be a Jesus guy in the business world sometimes, businessmen by nature are very self serving and numbers oriented, very often at the expense of the client. I have to pump my breaks constantly, if I'm not in constant fellowship I can get off track quickly. Pray for your boy!

No comments: