Friday, March 5, 2010

Even track stars trip over hurdles

Sup fellas, Imma get back on some prayer. Prayer is the greatest opportunity and privilege to us that are in Christ. And, I think that Satan sees how often times people and churches are only as powerful as their prayer life. In turn, he will throw out some misconceptions to mess with our prayer potential.

The biggest hurdle for me is to learn about prayer, but then not practice it. It's like I gain a false sense of satisfaction when I just learn about something....but don't actually do it. Im thinking, yea this is a part of my life now, when in all actuality, what I have learned hasn't made it from my head to my heart, from theory to practice. I got a pretty good idea that Satan loves it when we learn about something we should be doing, even get excited about it, but then never follow through by doing it. Examples being: like when you buy a book on a certain subject, but then never follow what it says, or listen to a sermon or devotional on a cd or ipod, but then never practicing what it preaches, or......writing about key aspects to prayer to a group of fellow Christ followers and then yourself not practice what you are writing.......I don't know anyone like that though.......dang it.

We often have the false idea that if we know a great deal about prayer, somehow we have prayed. For example, you may read something about prayer or whatever and think "Man, this is powerful, or this can change my life." However, if we don't apply the principles to our lives, our knowledge won't help our spirituality. Myles Munroe puts it well when he says, "A major cause of unanswered prayer is our becoming experts in knowledge of prayer but not masters in the practice of praying." So, the best approach to prayer is....to pray.


trying to die to myself,
-tmart

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Agreed. Well said. This post describes my laziness when it comes to prayer. I'm much better at reading books about prayer than I am at actually setting quiet time apart and praying. I love my God. I love learning about Him and talking about Him. However I lack in my effort to talk to Him. Why? What's the problem here?

- Terry