Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Choices That Lead To Surrender

We all make choices everyday some can be more important than others. One of my favorite ideas is to make a decision for the day ("it's going to be a good day") when you wake up and then try to live it out. I have found this to be important in my own life because all to often I will wake up in a bitter mood and carry it through out the day for no good reason (pretty weak if you think about it).
Christy (my wife) and I have been reading through Luke and just last night we came across chapter 6 (v. 20) which is his interpretation of the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12). No coincidence that today I was talking/fellowshipping with a teamate of mine today and mentioned that it was my day to blog and he shared his most recent daily bread which was the beatitudes. So here is my interpretation of what he (Kevin) shared with me.
Luke 6:20-23 "...blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven;..." ESV
Poor means poor in material things, hunger means physically hungry, weep means mourn over the state of things, and then hate, exclude, revile, and spurning of names are forms of persecution (Acts 5:41, 16:25, 21:13, James 1). What Jesus is saying is that in all these circumstances we have a choice to make and that choice is to surrender it over to God or to grip it and rip it ourselves. We can be blessed by being poor and waiting on the Lord for peace and deliverance. The same can be said for the rest of the Beatitudes. So far in our lives what have we chosen to do? How consistent have we been with those choices and what have we learned?
My stats right now are laughable when it comes to surrender and making the choices to trust God when the situation gets thick/tough. My instinct is to grip it myself and try to beat it into submission like the Matt Hughes of 2006. However my past shows that when I grab the situation myself I rip it and break it and make a mess of it like a little kid trying to handle something fragile. Can you imagine how frustrated God must be with me? But He isn't, He is waiting with open arms more than likely waiting for me/us to ask Him to take the wheel. Have you asked Him to take the wheel lately? Let's make the choice today to trust God in everything and depend on Him for all things knowing how good of a friend He is.

Father, we surrender to You, take the wheel, drive my life like You know how and do it according to Your perfect wheel. We know you didn't think this up last night and so here we trust that You know what is best for us, we love You and praise You, Amen!

No comments: