Friday, June 8, 2012

Daily Bread

"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

I love this verse for so many reasons. I know for myself I tend to look down the road and try to imagine myself in life. Family, occupation, growing old, etc. Where will it all take place? What will it all look like? Speaking from an athletes perspective I think some of that can be a little scary because it's so unknown. All I know is baseball, I love it! It's blessed me beyond measure. But it will end, and my life, Lord willing, will be remembered by greater achievements than scratching some service time in Major League Baseball. This post might come off as a little gloomy but please don't read into it like that. I think as followers of Christ we all need a little sense of urgency in our journey at times. "Teach us to number our days" to me is like stoking into the fire a little bit. Give more for the moment! Tomorrow, next week, 10 years, whatever. None of it is promised! God has you where he wants you, and this scripture moves me in a way that I feel like I can do more for Him with what I have been given today. Heart full of wisdom is a beautiful thing, I know because I can read about it in this thing called a Bible. I see what it looks like and I want it... I hope to have one some day.

In Christ,

Blake.

1 comment:

SbrviviLaMafiaAntigua said...

This was the humble prayer of the Bible writer Moses. What specifically was he asking for?

In verse 10, Moses lamented the shortness of the human life span. On another occasion, he recorded the testimony of Job, who said: “Man, born of woman, is short-lived and glutted with agitation.” (Job 14:1) It is evident that Moses was painfully aware of the transitory nature of imperfect human life. Therefore, he viewed each day of life as a precious resource. In directing this plea to God, Moses expressed his desire to live his remaining days wisely, in a way that would please his Creator. That will be our endeavor if we want God’s approval now.

A life expectancy of 70 years holds out hope of some 25,500 days. Regardless of our age, though, ‘we do not know what our life will be tomorrow, for we are a mist appearing for a little while and then disappearing.’ (James 4:13-15) Since ‘time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all,’ we cannot say how much longer we will live. So we need to pray for wisdom to deal with trials, to treat others properly, and to do our best in God’s service right now—today! (Ecclesiastes 9:11; James 1:5-8)

The exercise of this wisdom moves us to ‘seek first God’s Kingdom’ and to use our days in a way that brings glory to God and makes his heart rejoice. (Matthew 6:25-33; Proverbs 27:11) Worshiping him wholeheartedly will not remove all our problems, of course, but it certainly results in great joy.

Thanks for reading!