Saturday, February 18, 2012

Spring Training

Spring Training. One of my favorite times of the year. Baseball, beautiful Florida weather, tons of time spent on the beach and in the pool with my family, dinner with the family every night.... lots of good stuff going on. Also, Spring Training, in years past, has been a time where I grow considerably in my faith. When we get down here we get on a good church going routine to a great church that's Bible based and has a great kids program (something that our family is blessed to have in all 3 places we spend time). Also, we get on a good Bible study routine. Big leaguers, minor leaguers, wives, kids... everybody is catered to and there is a real sense of serving going on there. So this time is not just a Spring Training get ready for baseball type of thing. It's also a Spring Training of our walks with Jesus type of thing. Then, inevitably, we leave for the season. And what happens? Slowly but surely we lose a lot of that momentum that we gained during our time in Florida. And, every year, the same promises to keep the ball rolling during the season fizzle out. And, every year, the same regret at the end of the year for all the lost and wasted time. So, here's my question... why do we allow this to happen every stinkin' year? Before you start saying "Aw, you poor guy" stop and think if I might be relating to you too. If this doesn't pertain to you then read on or read something else. But, I bet if you're honest, you'll at least admit there have been times when you were slipping and needed a boost. I've figured out that sometimes in order to grow I have to be a good self evaluator. So... why do we let it happen? Why do we ride a spiritual roller coaster that seems to never end? Here it is.. you ready?..... WE DON'T KEEP CHRIST IN THE CENTER OF OUR LIVES!
It comes down to that age old question of what are your priorities. Here's the most common answer... "God, family, job, friends, hobbies. I'm close anyway. But, here's how I think we should amend that answer. Let's make Jesus the center of everything. Lets have Jesus be the rock of our family, lets let our God dictate how we do business, and allow His Holy Spirit to shine over our friendships. There's a great book that hits on this concept amazingly called "Lead...For God's Sake". If you are a coach please, for God's sake, read that book. Here's the deal. When we place God at the center of everything, His greatness shines in everything. We are called to be lights in a dark world. Let's get over ourselves and let God light us up from the inside out. Anybody feeling me here?

-waino

9 comments:

TEvans said...

Amen brother! Jesus should not just be the #1 spot on our priority list. Jesus should be the priority list. Everything in our lives for the glory of God!

Is that a "From the Inside Out" by Hillsong reference at the bottom of your post there? I dig it.

- Terry

Anonymous said...

I hear ya bro, I fight that battle as well. If you LOVE Jesus as much as you love a great workout or a clean 30 pitch side, you'll make it a priority. Imagine how we must look through His eyes. The excuses, the "oh I haven't read or prayed today." What!? Grow up Peter Pan.

Speaking to myself by the way. Nobody else? cool.

Andrew said...

A lot of truth in this. Our lives are called to look different, and I know that over the course of the year that does not happen. Thanks for the transparency.

AK

Andy said...

There is a lot of truth here for sure, but I do have a few comments. The reason we fizzle out or don't live up to our side of the bargain is because we can't! Our spiritual growth is not from our works, our routines. Our growth has to come from grace, and grace alone(2 Peter 3:18). The "work" in our lives should be to believe better, believing that everything we need and have has been secured and accomplished at the Cross. Jesus' work for us is our only righteousness. It is finished.
We can't have a good enough Bible study routine to please God. The Bible tells us that even our good works are filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). So we have one thing to do: Constantly remind ourselves of the Gospel of grace everyday. That while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. This remembrance is the only way to get better at these things. Grace changes the heart, not more law/rules/boundaries. We are a lot worse of than we think we are, but cheer up, In Christ, we are loved more than we can imagine.
Grace and Peace,
Mitch

Wes said...

That's been my prayer that God continues momentum in my life. I was tried of falling into the same rut every season, so I am determined to do this one differently. My agent told me a quote that has helped me keep God at the center of everything I am involved in. "Today's choices make tomorrow's choices more likely". I love it because I know if I don't make it a priority daily then I am slowly going to drift down the path I was on again.

Wes

TEvans said...

Mitch,

I agree. I believe that if we do constantly remind ourselves of the gospel of grace everyday then that should lead to lives that seek to daily glorify God. This daily remembrance keeps the momentum going. So how do we remember? Through prayer and God's Word.

I agree that those in the flesh cannot please God. "You however are not in the flesh, but you are in the Spirit if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you." (Rom. 8) Thanks and thanks only to the righteousness of Jesus, we now have the Spirit that keeps the momentum going if we would just continue to keep our minds on the things of the Spirit rather than setting our minds on the things of the flesh. Thanks for sharing the truth that is a righteousness that comes only from our Lord who loves.

With peace thanks to Jesus,

-Terry

Cardinal70 said...

The last couple of years, I've thought that Lent was the Christian form of spring training. The problem is, unlike the lessons learned in ST, we tend to do our sacrifice in Lent then move on without having applied that sacrifice throughout the year.

waino said...

I should have described that better. Grace is the reason I get lazy at times. I'm not blind to the fact that grace is the only reason I have been redeemed and not works. But grace is not a reason to take a free pass on studying Gods word and staying on fire for the Lord. When I'm on fire I feel Gods name roll off my toungue in all kinds of situations. Grace, awesome... Amazing.... Undeserved. Works, something that should reflect who I worship. Good comments

ericchiz said...

Adam, Great first two starts back. I am proud of you! Man God is amazing. Every time I take the field, i find myself with such a joy and overwhelming feeling of Christ around me. After every game I have caught so far this season, win or lose, my dad hugs me and reminds me of how blessed I am. Exactly one year ago WE were going through a rough evasive surgery. Now we are both back in action. What a way to witness and a way to honor our Lord. I have Psalm 91:2 written on a piece of tape under the bill of my Skull cap and read it before every inning. It has been an honor to experience the last year along side you. I really appreciate your positive influence. Keep working hard and throwing well.

Sincerely

Fellow Iron Man,

Eric Chiz