Monday, February 13, 2012

The Prayer Requests of the Apostle Paul

I just finished a short essay for a class that I am taking. The essay is on the prayer requests of the apostle Paul found in Romans 15:30-32, Ephesians 6:18-20, Colossians 4:2-4, 1 Thessalonians 5:25 and 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2. It would definitely help to read those few verses before reading the post below.


Instructions for My Prayer Life from the Prayer Requests of the Apostle Paul


The apostle Paul’s prayer requests for himself illustrate what is truly meant by praying in the name of Jesus. In each of the five verses studied, Paul’s central concern of his requests is the advancement of the gospel. He makes no request for any material provision and expresses no concerns about his own personal health despite being imprisoned at the time that he records a couple of these requests. Paul asks for deliverance from unbelievers and the wicked, but even this was because of his desire to spread the gospel without hinderance. The Christ-centered focus of this “ambassador in chains” serves as a powerful testimony of one who presses on toward the eternal goal knowing that his citizenship is not of this world.

Meditating on the prayer requests of the apostle Paul encourages and instructs me on how to truly pray in the name of Jesus. Jesus consistently prayed in accordance with the will of God. We do not know what to pray for as we ought, but we do know that if we ask in accordance with God’s will, He hears us. And although we can have confidence that the Spirit helps us in our weakness, we can also consider the heart of Paul in his specific requests for prayer. Prayer in accordance with God’s will is prayer that seeks first the glory of God. Paul’s intense focus and passion for the advancement of God’s glory challenges me to break these chains of self-centeredness and to embrace a life of complete dedication to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

All too often throughout my journey with Jesus, I have remained idle in the face of conviction. This must stop. I have grown tired of allowing my heart to be stirred while my feet remain still. This examination of the heart of the apostle Paul will change my posture before the Lord. I desire to remove my attention from myself and fix my eyes upon the advancement of God’s glory. Is my comfort and the safety of my family more important than the glory of God? My mind knows the correct answer, but my heart seems indecisive. Paul’s prayer requests demonstrate unity of heart, mind and soul. Such harmony is the trademark of true worship. My desire going forward is to pray in such a way that seeks first the kingdom of God trusting the promise that all other things will be added to me.


With peace thanks to Jesus,


Terry

4 comments:

Hannah said...

WOW Great essay!! That made me think how my prayer life and go to a different level!! Thanks again!

SbrviviLaMafiaAntigua said...

Right on. But isn't equally as important as praying for God's will, is to KNOW God's will? First and foremost, how can someone pray for God's Kingdom, if they don't recognize what it is? And sure Paul "makes no request for any material provision and expresses no concerns". But isn't equally important what we DO pray for? At times, we may not know what to say in our private prayers. God caused many prayers to be recorded in the Scriptures. He accepts these inspired petitions as requests we would like to make and therefore fulfills them. God knows us and the meaning of the things he caused his spirit to speak through the Bible writers. God answers our supplications when the spirit “pleads,” or intercedes, for us (as shown in Romans 8:26,27. But as we become better acquainted with God’s Word, what we should pray for may more readily come to mind, shouldn't it?
After all, our prayers do say much about us. For instance, they may reveal how close we have drawn to God and how well we know his Word.
Thanks for the lesson!

TEvans said...

Absolutely! One great example of KNOWING God's promises and then KNOWING what to pray for is seen when Elijah prays God's promises into performance. I'll probably write on this soon but for now....

Compare 1 Kings 17:1 then James 5:17 then Deuteronomy 11:16-17.

Elijah prayed according to the Word of God.

Thanks for the insight.

- Terry

Jules said...

Being the sinner that I am I find it hugely necessary to stay in fellowship and surround myself with men/people who are pursuing this kind of life to keep me focused on Jesus. In reading these posts I reflected on how much of my prayer time is about me... Convicting! What would it look like for me to spend more time praying for other people? I think the more we think about ourselves and all that consumes us the more selfish we become and that will cause us to blend in with the world. I need to spend more time praying and thanking Jesus for who He is.

I'm not saying to never pray for yourself...