Friday, January 27, 2012

The Leadership Corner: Defining Leadership

The art and skill of leadership has been a subject that has fascinated me for years now. Whether it is in the sports world, the business world, or the church world, I believe that leadership is extremely important.

For this reason, I want to start a series of posts called the Leadership Corner. In these posts I will draw upon the many books - and other resources - I have accumulated over the years written by leaders who have far superior knowledge and experience on the subject than myself.

If leadership guru John Maxwell is right when he says that "leadership is influence - nothing more, nothing less," then I believe anyone who has influence over someone will benefit from these posts.

In their book Launching a Leadership Revolution, Chris Brady and Orrin Woodward give several helpful definitions of leadership that I think would be fitting to look at as we start this journey. Let me know which ones you think match your understanding of leadership.

James C. Hunter: "We define leadership . . . as a skill of influencing people to work enthusiastically toward goals identified as being for the common good."

Andy Stanley: "Leaders provide a mental picture of a preferred future and then ask people to follow them there."

Vance Packard: "Leadership is getting others to want to do something that you are convinced should be done."

Garry Wills: "Leadership is mobilizing others toward a goal shared by the leader and followers."

Kenneth O. Gangel: "I consider leadership to be the exercise of one's special gifts under the call of God to serve a certain group of people in achieving the goals God has given them toward the end of glorifying Christ."

2 comments:

TEvans said...

Brother Kenny gets my vote:

"I consider leadership to be the exercise of one's special gifts under the call of God to serve a certain group of people in achieving the goals God has given them toward the end of glorifying Christ."

"to serve... people... toward the end of glorifying Christ"

Leadership involves serving not being served.

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant" (Philippians 2:5-7 ESV)

Now that is leadership!

- Terry

Tyler Durham said...

I agree. I feel like his definition definitely stands out because of its Christ-centeredness.

I would also add to your phrases that you highlighted "under the call of God." When you have a conviction that what you are doing is God ordained it gives you a perseverence that, otherwise, you might not have.