Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This Can't Be Life?

Have you ever asked this question "This can't be life?". For you English majors out there I know that it's not postured as a question as written but if you know me and hear the way it falls off my tongue you'd know that indeed it is a question. So the question here is wrapped around thoughts that are triggered by life's circumstances that beg the question "how can this be?"

To explain better, we pursue a dream or an activity (could be anything we see that has value) and do all we know to prepare for success only to see it not work out. Unfortunately most of the time we see a bump in the road as the end of the world when it really ends up being a small obstacle that prepares us better for the climax.

I mention all this to expand on the topic of Freedom. Freedom from being defined by this world. Why do we continue to identify our self worth with our accomplishments such as making it to the MLB, being an All-Star, HOF, closing big deals, owning a business, etc...? Listen to what Paul says here in Galatians

Galatians 5:1 "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

Can you relate, have you felt burdened by a dream, or a failure? Ask yourself why? It's more often than not because we are defining ourselves by what we do not who we are IN Christ. I've done this so many times and I really believe that is why I couldn't handle failure as a player. It drove me into depression so many times, a crippling depression that nobody (friends and family)could shake me out of, it made be literally ill. Let's no longer live in slavery to our worldly dreams let's be alive in our identity in Christ.

No comments: