Monday, May 3, 2010

e-Fellowship Mission Statement (retro)

I came across this post and I felt like now is a good time to throw it back up on here:


I got some things on my mind that I feel led to release into the wild. I want to throw down what I feel the church really is and what fellowship really looks like. First, lets define the church and its purpose. Christ’s church is not a bunch of buildings where people go sit, sing, listen and leave. We as christians are the church. The book of Ephesians states that we are the body and Christ is the Head. As the body, we each have our own specific purpose. Ephesians 4:11-16 says,


"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ - from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love."


Fellowship is not sitting in a pew on sunday morning listening to the pastor teach and hoping in your car and heading home. Fellowship contains interaction. The early church that we read about in the book of Acts wasn’t some building where people would go and listen to a pastor. The early church was groups of people meeting in houses and around bonfires to tell stories about Jesus and the impact that He had in their lives. Can you imagine chillin with the disciples around a bonfire and discussing their stories of Jesus Christ? They didn’t have the New Testament or a worship band. They would just meet up, break some bread, and share what Jesus had done in their lives. Their message was simple. Their message was Jesus. Today we continue to lose the oneness and the harmony that the church is called to have because of divisions within the church. Correct me if I’m wrong but denominations are destroying the harmony of the church. That is why fellowship is so important. Through love we need to enlighten and uplift each other and come to a unity of faith and knowledge. That is why e-Fellowship is here. That is the reason we have this site and the daily bread flowing through email. We need to get back to our roots and engage in true church fellowship. Keep this thing rollin because this is true fellowship. I look forward to sitting around that campfire on the New Earth laid back sharing stories with the e-Fellowship congregation. I love you all. Thank you Christ my King!


- Terry


*** That being said, I miss you guys. I miss the power felt when e-Fellowship is living out its mission statement. I've been absent from this fellowship lately but am here today declaring that e-Fellowship has once again moved back up on my priority list. You can expect more from me going forward. I love you guys!