Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Try Again Young Apprentice

Luke 5:4-7
4When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down[a] the nets for a catch."
5Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
6When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.


I look at this text a little different today than I have previously. We see that Peter had tried something and failed to accomplish it. Not only was this (fishing) Peter's means of professional affiliation but he happened to be pretty knowledgable in the area too. Jesus, a carpenter, asks him to drop his nets down again, basically saying "okay you've just blasted your chest (muslces)in the gym, well let's go back in and do some more push ups because I got a feeling it's going to take you to the next level of buffness". "But wait, Lord...? I don't think you're hearing me. have you seen the results, and, dude I just don't have anything left to give." Sound familiar? Peter had to have been questioning this decision and we've probably heard this before, I sure have! Here's my new glance at this. Could have Jesus/God been making a point here as to say "the work of your (us) hands isn't what I (God) want to show you, I want you to experience the work of my hands through you so I get the glory." Could that be what He was showing Petey and the other disciples? Could that be something that plays out in our lives?

Is there anything in your life that God is asking you to do/try again but this time He's asking you to let Him take care of the results. Is God asking you to step out in faith with something that you have failed at previously? Is there something in our lifes that we keep trying to control and do on our own stength when we could/should turn it over to the Lord?

I think God askes us to try again on things after we failed at it before because we would have received all the glory had we been successful (because our sinful nature is constantly trying to take credit) with the results. God is in control of EVERYTHING and he want's us to lean, trust, and confide in Him for everything.

No comments: