Friday, January 8, 2010

Subtle Daggers

This is basically a help-me help-everyone point-them-out thing.  Subtle sins that is.  I am gonna go ahead and say I do not notice even half of the sins I be doin, not sure about the rest of the e-fellas.  Our goal in the pursuit of godliness should be to grow more in our conscious awareness that every moment of our lives is lived in the presence of God; that we are responsible to Him and dependent on Him.  This goal would include a growing desire to please Him and glorify Him in the most ordinary activities of life.  One thing or the only thing I know to do at this point is to pray every morning, asking that the Holy Spirit will direct my thoughts, words, and actions that they will be pleasing to God, and also to pray for the Lord to point out where I am trippin up.

So here is a handful I am feelin on.

Ya mouth - sins of the tongue such as gossip, or bad words, or tearin people down.  If we were/are totally aware that God is present in every situation, then these things could not thrive.  But, we are to whatever degree you want to claim...ungodly.  I know I do not think of every living moment of my life is in the presence of an all-seeing, and all-hearing God.

Anxiety - maybe triggered not so much by a distrust in God as by an unwillingness to submit to and happily accept His agenda for our lives.

Pride - rather than feeling morally superior to those who practice the flagrant sins we condemn, we ought to feel deeply grateful that God by His grace has kept us from, or perhaps rescued us from such a life.

Envy - ya must realize that to be envious or jealous of someone is either eliminating God from the picture or else accusing Him of being unfair.


So, what do you guys got? These are some that I notice now that I am battling everyday.  I am sure there is more, many more, but these are ones that are predominately rockin my everyday......what about the rest of the e-fellas?


trying to die to myself,
-tmart

2 comments:

waino said...

i fall into that gossip category some and it makes me sick. It seems that God always reminds me of this like an hour after I fall into the trap. Remaining kingdom focused on my ambitions prove to be a tough hurdle too. I would need a few of these pages to describe every different sin that comes my way. Good thing for Grace!!!!!

Tanner said...

My pride leaks through unto the surface in many different shapes and forms. It is something that I try and watch constantly and never let it get out of my sight. We all know that pride comes before fall and pride is the sin that led to the greatest fall of all...... Lucifer and those with him.

-TEvans