Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1 Corinthians (Love)

1 Corinthians 13:2 "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge and I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

Man... if I had the gift of prophecy and the faith to literally move mountains I am hard pressed to think that I would need anything else. What else is there? That is like being a Tiger/Kobe/A-Rod/Agassi/T-Brady hybrid. Back in the day if you had the two gifts that Paul was talking about you had it all. Heavy weight faith, prophetic tools? It's a wrap, closed case. This speaks to how vital Love is. Love is more than butterflies in your stomach, it's beyond that its got a smell of eternity that we still haven't fully embraced. Before I get to my point, take note of all the names in my hybrid model. They are all top notch at their sport but they all made huge publicized mistakes.

We all chase love and we have been since we were born. We look to our parents, then look to a member of the opposite sex, we learn some things, then we look for a lifelong mate. No matter how good your relationship is with your bride/groom we all get hurt at some point. The reason is because we humans are jacked up, flawed, imperfect, and can't live up to the expectations we have in our hearts for one another. Have you ever wondered why that is?

My theory (based on scriptures) is that God put eternity in our hearts and the knowledge of a greater love in it too. We have high expectations because we all have the knowledge of God in us and the only place to go to fill those expectations is the cross and in Jesus, the Guy who never fails us, He always loves us regardless of our foul ups. We have to have Jesus Christ at the top of our upside down food pyramid, He is our largest portion. We will never be happy unless we look for love in Jesus first and foremost. Once we have that then we will have that void filled and be able to freely and fully love others and ourselves properly. I think Paul is speaking to that perfect love that only Jesus can provide when we laid out 1 Corinthians 13. Reading over the scriptures it describes a love that I fall short of giving everyday. Only Jesus can fill us up the way we long to be filled. I'm in desperate need of a top-off, I just can't seem to get full of what the world is providing. Amen?

No comments: