Monday, December 28, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I know I know..., it's not quite the new year yet. But, maybe it's time to start thinking about it. A lot of people make New Year's Resolutions every year. Most of the rezzies I see people make are the same one's they made a year prior. But this year's gunna be different. Yep, "this is the year I'm gunna make _____ happen, and i'm gunna stay consistent all year." Things go great for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two and then BAM! You take a day off here and there. Then all of the sudden you've stopped doing it entirely. Sound familiar? To me it does. Last year Jenny and I were gunna read our Bibles everyday. We were going to grow together and keep on each other so we could go over each chapter. Kinda like a in home nightly Bible study. And you know what happened there. So, this year I want to go on record and say that my resolution will be to make sure I have my quiet time with the Lord every day. I, like the rest of you, may have a wierd schedule right now that may not be conducive to having a consistent time in the mornings for study. But..., there's no excuse for not giving a few minutes each day to our Lord, His Son, and His Spirit. I have continued to fail miserably at that so I'm going to attack it. All of you have my permission to hold me accountable on this subject at any time to keep me in check. My wife just spent the whole last week remodeling the front room in my house into a sweet office. I even got a nice big fancy desk, and I've already got a Bible sitting right in the middle. I think it will be important for me to use that office, or somewhere, that's not my comfortable bed, to do my quiet time. I've found that quiet time spent in bed at night ends up being a quick ticket to dreamland.
On a side note, the other day I was thinking about some of the people I admire most in life. I was trying to, in my own head, think about some traits that each one brought to the table in their own walks with Jesus. One common denominator was that they all spent the first part of their day in quiet time with the Lord. So, my first thought was "man, it'll be awesome when I retire and I can get into a routine like that." Then it hit me..., was I claiming to be too busy for God? Yes. Was I putting God first? No. Here's the thing. Twenty years from now if I haven't got myself on a good schedule it will be even harder to break bad habits, or start good ones. And, I know my set of excuses will just change to something else like a early golf game or hunting trip or something. All the more important I get myself going NOW! To give my Lord a few minutes...., God deserves more than that. He sent His own son to do WHAT for us? Wow!!! Golf clap would be necessary right now. So my question to you e-fellows..., how or what are you gunna do to grow your own personal relationships with God? If we do this right our resolutions aren't just resolutions..., they're life changers.

-waino

3 comments:

The Glamorous WAHM said...

I have often said that the only thing consistent about my relationship with
Christ is, my inconsistency in my relationship with Christ!

Anonymous said...

Brother? Get out of my head Adam.

Todd said...

solid challenge. i was once told that you would not play a game without taking batting practice or warming up in the bullpen, so why would you try to tackle your day without first armoring yourself with the Word...that put it in perspective for me..