Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Conisder Others More Important than Yourself

“But in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” - Philippians 2:3b

Wow, what does that look like? How on earth could I possibly consider others more important than me? It sounds good, but I know my heart too well. The only way you or I can count others as more significant than ourselves is, as Paul says, “ in humility.” The problem is humility is unnatural. Because of the fall, my natural inclinations have been toward pride and self-centeredness, not humility.

In fact, I have spent my whole life trying to get others to see how significant I am – not how significant they are – and my guess is you have done the same thing. This is a result of our sinful nature, and according to Paul this breed’s disunity, back-biting, gossip, covetousness, and other unity destroying sins. This is not the way of the cross: the way of the cross is lowliness, humility, and service to others.

In the letter to the Philippians, Paul is writing to a church that is being persecuted from the outside and experiencing division from within. They need a Word from God and the Word He gives is look at others as more important than you. The supreme example of this counting others as more significant than ourselves, is God Himself in the Person of Jesus Christ. Paul says that “though he was in the form of God, [he] did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross” (Phil 2:6-8). It is only through the power of Christ – given to us in the Holy Spirit – that we can follow the example of Christ and count others as more significant than ourselves. This is impossible without the supernatural power of God working in our lives.

So what would this really look like? What would it do to our marriages if we counted our wives as more significant than ourselves? What about our children? I mean really. I have a nine month old daughter named Rachel. What if from this day until the day I die I communicate to her – through my actions – that I think she is more significant than I am. What about at work? What about on your team? What about in our church? I think it would be revolutionary.

I know we all want unity in our families? I know you want unity on your team? I know we all want unity at the workplace? I know we all want unity in our churches? This being the case, let’s ask God to help us cultivate humility in our life. Let’s confess our sin of selfishness and pride and ask God to help us to begin considering those around us as more significant than ourselves.

TD

3 comments:

Hannah said...

That was a great post!! Thank you!!

Tyler Durham said...

Thank you for reading it! This is a topic that the Lord has really been hammering home to me these last few months.

TEvans said...

Authentic revival CANNOT be orchestrated through any of our own efforts. Revival is produced through the unifying work of the Spirit of God.

"All who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people." (Acts 2)

Does this sound like your community of believers? If not then Why? Perhaps we need to consider further the humility exemplified by Jesus. I love the way the Message translation puts it.

"Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of Himself. He had equal status with God but didn't think so much of Himself that He had to cling to the advantages of that status no matter what. Not at all. When the time came, He set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave, became human! Having become human, He stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn't claim special privileges. Instead, He lived a selfless obedient life and then died a selfless obedient death - and the worst kind of death at that - a cruxifixion!
(Philippians 2)

Great word Tyler.