Tuesday, September 13, 2011

And the Word Became Flesh

To begin his gospel, John describes Jesus as "the Word" which I find interesting and helpful. Describing Jesus as the Word helps me better understand His deity. When we speak, our words often tend to describe, explain, and reveal our thoughts and character. My words express who I am, they reveal things about me, they’re a revelation of me, they reveal my character, my nature, who I am deep within. They essentially can define everything about me. If you were blind and could not see me or see my face how else would you get to know me or understand me except for my word? My words are not something separate from me, they are begotten by me, they are apart of me. Jesus, the Word, is the direct revelation of God the Father.


No one has ever seen the Father, but He makes Himself known through Jesus Christ. The author of Hebrews puts it this way, “Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed the heir of all things, through whom also He created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the Word of His power.” (Hebrews 1:1-3) The eternal presence of God's revelation became a man and walked and lived among us, and in Him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily. (Colossians 2:9). The glory and nature of the One True God of the universe can be seen by anyone and everyone who seeks to know the One we call Jesus.


- Terry

1 comment:

Hannah said...

That's so true, what we say shows everybody what are hearts are like. It shows ever more how much more we need to be like Jesus in everything that we do AND say!! Great post!!