Thursday, July 12, 2012

Signs

So we had our All-Star break the last three days and me and my wife and son went back to Yosemite. We couldn't get enough the first time so we went back. I told my wife I think I was supposed to come here a lot earlier in my life because it has had such an impact on me. The funny thing is that I noticed since the last trip to Yosemite and being around my teammates and trying to explain to the ones who had not been how amazing the views were and how awe inspiring the whole place was - There was no way to put into words what was seen and experienced! As I was there this time I noticed something. There are little signs in front of the falls and most of the beautiful sites that explain what you are looking at and a little history of the location. As I was sitting there reading the sign I realized that it would be pointless to just sit there and read the sign about the falls or the meadow or rock face and never actually look up and experience it. Yosemite is not meant to be talked about, it is meant to be seen and experienced. Then I felt an overwhelming sense that the Holy Spirit was revealing something to me. All to often I get caught up in reading about a relationship with Jesus Christ. To often I just read about what the power of the Holy Spirit can do. To often I just read about the power of God. We serve a relational God who wants a growing relationship with us. Don't get me wrong, reading and learning is great. But in the same way that if I just read the signs about Yosemite falls and then walked away I would be missing the point. We need to experience God and do it often. We need to experience the Holy Spirit and that power. Reading and learning is obviously essential to a growing relationship, but only if all the learning and information leads to actions. "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone." (James 2:24 NIV) Thoughts?

- Andrew Kown

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really great message! Thanks for sharing! I don't take the time and/or make the effort to experience God enough, but reading what you wrote makes me realize how much I really do. So thanks again for your post.

Jeff S. said...

Thank you for that great analogy! I have not been to Yosemite but I have seen many things in life that are hard to put into words: the view from a mountain top, the first time you see the ocean, the poverty of the outlying villages of Tijuana, the utter destruction left by the Joplin tornado. You are right that reading about it or even seeing on on television doesn't compare to actually experiencing it. We should all take time to actually experience God everyday!

TEvans said...

Solid Solid Solid! You and Adam's last two posts and the analogies that you guys used to explain our relationship with Jesus were off the charts. Thanks for your dedication brother.

And concerning the too often reading and learning rather than experiencing? GUILTY!

- TEvans

Tyler Parker said...

Great post. Happens to me all the time asking for things in prayer. Many times forgetting to fortify my communication with Jesus and bolster that relationship. What kind of relationship would you have with a friend if everytime you spoke with them they just asked for favors over and over.