Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Southern Comfort

The title of this post was just to grab your attention, the real title is "Comfort".

Psalm 23:4 "...thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

Charles Spurgeon reflects on this great comfort- "Give me the comforts of God, and I can well bear the taunts of men. Let me lay my head on the bosom of Jesus, and I fear not the distraction of care and trouble. If my God will give the light of His smile, and grant His benediction, it is enough. Come on foes, persecutors... the Lord God is my sun and shield... I carry a sun within; blow, wind of the frozen north, I have a fire of living coal within; yea, death slay me but I have another life- a life in the light of God's countenance."

I love the first line, "give me the comforts of God and I care bear the taunts of men". Thats hard for me, I love to be liked by people, I really enjoy that. However there is an evil that lurks within that pleasure and it can infect my whole life if I don't take true comfort in all that God is. God can be everything to us if we pursue Him. Is God (the Trinity) enough to you right now?

No comments: